May 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Absent a sitcom-like case of frying-pan-to-the-head-induced amnesia, they won’t let him. But Victor Martinez would love to get behind the plate:
“Hopefully by the end of the season I’ll be able to get behind the plate.” Martinez said he could catch right now if the Tigers asked him to.
“I’m pretty healthy,” he said. “That’s not a concern at all. If they need me (to catch), I’ll definitely be there. It’s not a question. It’s not a question.”
Martinez caught 26 games in 2011. And missed 2012 with an ACL. So, sure, I guess if the playoffs came and the Tigers were in need of an emergency catcher they might put Martinez back there, but I’d be utterly shocked if he actually donned the tools of ignorance for the Tigers again. Heck, even in the playoff scenario it would be sub-optimal given that it would likely cost the Tigers their DH in that situation.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 0
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)