May 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Absent a sitcom-like case of frying-pan-to-the-head-induced amnesia, they won’t let him. But Victor Martinez would love to get behind the plate:
“Hopefully by the end of the season I’ll be able to get behind the plate.” Martinez said he could catch right now if the Tigers asked him to.
“I’m pretty healthy,” he said. “That’s not a concern at all. If they need me (to catch), I’ll definitely be there. It’s not a question. It’s not a question.”
Martinez caught 26 games in 2011. And missed 2012 with an ACL. So, sure, I guess if the playoffs came and the Tigers were in need of an emergency catcher they might put Martinez back there, but I’d be utterly shocked if he actually donned the tools of ignorance for the Tigers again. Heck, even in the playoff scenario it would be sub-optimal given that it would likely cost the Tigers their DH in that situation.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 2
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 14
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8