And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

May 9, 2013, 6:56 AM EDT

Angel Hernandez, Bob Melvin AP

Indians 4, Athletics 3: Angel Hernandez said there was not enough evidence with which to overturn the original call of double on Adam Rosales‘ would-be game-tying home run.  Of course, the replay clearly shows that it was a home run, with the ball hitting off the railing above the wall.  This is pretty simple: If Hernandez had the same view of the play that the Comcast Bay Area viewers had and still couldn’t reverse the call, he is incompetent. If he did not have that view available to him when reviewing the play, Major League Baseball’s home run review system is incompetent. Which is it?

Mariners 2, Pirates 1: Felix Hernandez was Felix Hernandez. He allowed one run over eight innings before making way for Tom Wilhelmsen. This despite only throwing 97 pitches. Maybe Eric Wedge and Ned Yost studied under the same sensei.

Braves 7, Reds 2: Three Braves homers including two from Dan Uggla. And for reasons that still aren’t clear to me, Dusty Baker had Mike Leake bat for himself with two men on and two men out in a one-run game in the bottom of the seventh. Guess that means Dusty figured Leake was going the distance or something. Nope: he allowed singles to his first two batters in the eighth, was pulled, and the game unravelled for Cincy. He shouldn’t have been at bat and he shouldn’t have been on the mound to begin that rally.

Orioles 5, Royals 3: The O’s are rolling. This one broke open in the fifth when Alcides Escobar tried to get an out at third instead of taking the easy out at first and made a throwing error, hitting the runner and opening up the floodgates. Ned Yost after the game:

“The key to that inning was if Escy just takes the out at first, they only get one run,” Yost said.

Yost was then fined $500 by the league office for calling a guy “Escy.” Yost has been Escobar’s manager for three frickin’ years. If he can be around this guy day-in, day-out for three years and still can’t come up with a better nickname than one of those lame name-shortening ones people use when they can’t remember someone’s full name, he’s simply not a fully-formed and plugged-in human being.

White Sox 6, Mets 3: Alejandro De Aza hit a leadoff homer and finished with three hits. Jake Peavy returned after missing two starts with a bum back and looked just fine. For this White Sox team, six runs is an outburst.

Nationals 3, Tigers 1: Bryce Harper hit his 10th home run and had a sac fly and Jordan Zimmermann allowed one run, breaking his 17-inning scoreless streak — but that’s all he allowed over seven innings as he notched his sixth win.

Giants 4, Phillies 3: Andres Torres with a 10th inning RBI single to help the Giants avoid the sweep. And while Barry Zito didn’t get the win, he pitched excellently. Zito in AT&T Park has become something of a lock for the Giants, who have won his last 11 starts at home.

Cardinals 5, Cubs 4: Jon Jay drove in two and finished the Cards’ road trip 10 for 20 with a homer and eight RBI. I’m gonna assume it was a performance borne of relief due to being able to leave town and thus escape the gangsters he double-crossed and the man whose woman he has swept off her feet as the found themselves thrown together in danger. But now he’s heading back with a new confidence and is ready for the final showdown with bad men and with his own conscience.  [note: I'm currently writing a book blurb for someone and I'm having trouble, so forgive me for trying to work it all out here].

Padres 1, Marlins 0: “In a world … where Jason Marquis can throw eight shutout innings …” I’m not working on movie trailers, but if I did I figure the Marlins season would be some sort of horror movie, so let’s feature it that way.

Astros 3, Angels 1: Bud Norris didn’t have to work too hard to pitch into the ninth inning. He only threw 84 pitches, in fact. Way to make ‘em work, Anaheim. This is turning ugly fast for the Angels. They quittin’ in May?

Rays 10, Blues Jays 4Matt Moore won his sixth straight decision to start the season and the Rays decided to take a new approach and not blow a lead. Evan Longoria drove in three.

Twins 15, Red Sox: 8: A 20-hit outburst for Minnesota, including Pedro Florimon’s homer and two-run double in the big second inning. Not liking that there is now a Pedro Floriman in baseball. That was the name I always used to check in anonymously at hotels.

Rangers 4, Brewers 1: Derek Holland gave up ten hits in seven innings yet only allowed one run. Not walking guys — and watching your opposition make multiple base running mistakes — is pretty cool.

Yankees 3, Rockies 2: Vernon Wells played third base in this game. But sure, the Yankees are better off without A-Rod. He also hit a two-run homer, though, so it’s not like the Yankees would be better off without him. Which is quite a statement.

Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 2: It seems like Paul Goldschmidt does something big every damn day. He homered twice and, for the third straight game, his homer broke a tie. He is absolutely destroying the Dodgers, hitting .458 with four homers and 11 RBIs in six games.

1. uyf1950 - May 9, 2013 at 7:12 AM

The Yankees continue to stay in close contact with the division lead. Also, Wells is doing an incredible job. BTW, I’m really starting to be impressed by the kid Claiborne the Yankees are giving him a huge opportunity and he is taking full advantage of it. We could be looking a Joba’s replacement for 2014 when Joba’s a FA.

• APBA Guy - May 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

In tribute to Len, shouldn’t that be “when THE FAT TOAD is a FA”?

• kitn1958 - May 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM

My last paycheck was $7500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. The potential with this is endless. This is what I do, Rich4.Com_

• nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I thought Joba already WAS a FA. Oh, FA means FREE AGENT not FAT ASS?

• uyf1950 - May 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

nbjays, keep it classy.

2. janessa31888 - May 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM

After seeing the replay, all the Indians announcers said it should be a home run. Tom Hamilton was stunned when they ruled it a double. Then Chris Perez gave the As another chance by loading up the bases. I figured they would tie the game up anyway. Jaso really had a great at bat, fouling ball after ball and eventually drawing a walk. We got very lucky last night. That umpire is a disgrace.

• proudlycanadian - May 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM

That particular umpire is no “Angel”. I wonder if his real name is something like “Fausto”? MLB should investigate his real birth certificate.

3. kcrobert10 - May 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM

A few thoughts on the royals. Wow we committed 3 errors in one inning 2 by Escobar. This kid shows moments of why I think he will be the best defensive ss in the game though. Other than that another game in which we scored only 3 runs at least they all came on homeruns but that’s not much consultation considering I could probably hit one out of that ballpark. Also the o’s are pretty darn good.

4. jm91rs - May 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM

The reds bench is weak. You can blame dusty for a lot, but failing to take the bat out of mike leakes hands is never going to be one of them. At that point leake hadn’t imploded on the mound and he’s a better batter than any other option.

• unclemosesgreen - May 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Totally agree jm – to add emphasis, Mike Leake is not only a better hitter than the bench options at the time. If it weren’t for human feelings and the psychological part of managing, Mike Leake would bat #6 when he pitches. He’s that good of a hitter.

• tuberippin - May 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

With the way he pitches, he should be #6 in their rotation too, once Cueto comes back…

5. indaburg - May 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I know the names of far too many umpires. The level of incompetence should embarrass MLB. Eye in the sky ump now. Maddon got ejected for tbe second night in a row, and now I’m learning of the blown Indians-As HR call. Enough.

Last night’s Rays 10-4 win was a real nail biter. You think I kid, but a 6 run lead with 6 outs to go with our bullpen is far from a sure thing. My nightmare scenario happened. Moore was out in 5 innings. Tonight is the battle of the struggling Cy Youngs.

• nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

And the Rays have ended a streak that they started in 2007. This will be the first time since then that the Rays have not won a series outright against the Jays at the Trop. Baby steps…

• indaburg - May 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

The Trop has been literally hell (be quiet, OG) for the Jays for a long time. Your boys can hit. You just need to get that pitching sorted out. If the Rays don’t make it, I’d rather see the Jays do it than the Yanks or Sox (barf).

• proudlycanadian - May 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Maddon had a legitimate beef. The umpire completely blew the call. The Blue Jay broadcast team mentioned that the Rays had been having trouble with that umpiring crew. After seeing them in action, I can understand Maddon’s reaction to the blown call.

• natslady - May 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

How can a team have “trouble with [an] umpiring crew”? Is that just for one series or have there been problems in the past? Not professional. It’s one thing for players to “hold grudges.” That’s part of the game–hitting a guy for something that happened two years ago. Umps–NOT.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM

natslady, the Tigers have ongoing problems with Joe West (really? throwing out players in the dugout?), hence the players and fans have issues with him and it’s not just petty grudge-holding.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

another great pitching performance by the bluejays, this has become the norm this season. Right now they have a team ERA of 4.88!!! Think Gibbons seat is hot or what?

• indaburg - May 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Natslady, the same crew blew a call–a pitch in the dirt that was clearly a ball at a critical juncture of a game earlier this season against the Rangers. Even Joe Nathan, the pitcher who threw the ball knew the call was wrong. Foster called it a 3rd strike, ending a game in the middle of a Rays comeback rally. The night before last, Foster blew a call. Sean Rodriguez was clearly safe at home, perfect slide. The dirt evidence (not to mention replay) also indicated that he was safe. Last night, there was another blown call resulting in Maddon’s ejection. So yeah, we have issues with this crew.

• natslady - May 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I think you misunderstood my post, or I wasn’t clear. No team should have problems with a particular crew, because no crew should stand out in their minds. If it’s one or two bad calls, ok, but if a crew is taking “revenge” on a team (or player) for past events, then that is completely unprofessional. Maybe I should have said no ump should have trouble with a particular team–not sure how to express it. But umps need to leave previous games “at the door” and not carry history with them.

6. wlschneider09 - May 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM

“This is pretty simple: If Hernandez had the same view of the play that the Comcast Bay Area viewers had and still couldn’t reverse the call, he is incompetent. If he did not have that view available to him when reviewing the play, Major League Baseball’s home run review system is incompetent. Which is it?”

These two options are not mutually exclusive. But I’m betting on the former more than the latter.

Yet all four umps had to look at this, yes? How does that work, is it a voting process or does the chief have veto power?

7. paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Mike Leake is a career .276/.307/.354 with a wRC+ of 77 (in other words, he hits about like an average MLB SS), and is hitting better than that so far this year. It is possible that he was just a better option that the guys on the bench or at least as good of an option. This year he is hitting better than Bruce, Mesoraco, Cozart, Heisey, Izturis, Hannigan, and Lutz….about the only bench player that could have been a slightly better option was Hannahan (who K’d later in the game).

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Why do you keep forgetting your OK report?

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Kozma! went 1 for 3 with a walk, but then got himself thrown out trying to steal when he represented the go ahead run.

Holliday was 1 for 4 with a GIDP.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Well, that’s not great. :(

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Nope, not really….but also not horrible. Kozma has been playing very solid defense. He’s probably not a long-term solution (unless he figures out how to hit pitches on the outside of the plate), but he’s also not a gaping hole in the lineup.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Wow, I think from you, paper, that’s a compliment. I’m hoping today to hear that I also don’t suck totally.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Most days, you don’t. :-P

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM

You shit.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Not my fault, as my Argentinian friend like to say when she is being a complete shit, “you just put the ball right there in front of the goal, I just had to tap it in.”

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Oh, so you plagiarize too.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I provided attribution.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM

You’re like my students. lol

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

What do you want (Maria Gutierrez, pers comm)?

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I want you not to copy off of someone else’s paper. he he

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Published works are free game….that why lit cited exists.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I know.

/scratches behind lion ears

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

It is amazing how hard it is to convert undergraduate students into researchers because they are stuck on knowing and remembering things (which is important) rather than the more important abilities of knowing where to find information, understanding it, and being able to synthesize understanding….in short, it is really really hard to get them to THINK.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Well, that’s work. I have a hard time getting them to hunt down sources/documents. Also, learning how to read them critically — and putting it in context (synthesis, yes). My students say that they spend more time on their work for me than for other classes, even though I give them less to do. It requires more effort.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, I know. People don’t realize that thinking is hard….and that they don’t spend nearly as much time as they think they do, doing it.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

laziness — I do it myself sometimes.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

We all do….just need to be aware of it….and, you know, try not to do it when it matters.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I wish people did less but did it better. I guess I’m old fashionedy. That’s the way I was trained. I hate when people blather on saying little. Condense, please. It’s okay to be short and profound.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, but talking/writing/communicating isn’t the same as thinking. It is like being around a group of neo-adults (18-22 yr olds), they jabber on a lot, but very little thinking is behind any of the jabbering.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I am around 40 year olds who do the same all day.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I am so sorry. Really.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Me too.

• Kevin S. - May 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I know it’s chic to talk about how bad the SS position is right now in MLB, but Mike Leake’s line isn’t really anywhere near the average SS – that’s more in the high-80s wRC+.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Yes, and Leake is at 87 this year. Ten teams have SS hitting below Leake’s career line, and another 5 are hitting as well (or as badly) as he is this year.

8. historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM

When Miggy ended Zimmermann’s streak, I, of course, thought of natslady. ;) I’m thinking that Prince’s lead in the AL with walks is going to be a season-long thing…and even that was more interesting than watching the pitchers bat. Oh well, short series. It doesn’t hurt to lose to a team like this (just wish Sanchez had been better). Torii’s probably still beating himself up that he didn’t throw to 2nd.

Once again, Teddy was shut out, as Geo Washington won the presidential race — by the way, he gloats!

• natslady - May 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Aw, t’anks. Was working and only able to watch my guy Clip struggle in the 8th, and Soriano close it out with casual efficiency.

We are going to the West Coast after today’s game (of which I am unlikely to see even one inning in real time!) Love those late night starts–get home from work about 10 and switch on a baseball game.

Today will be an interesting test of Mike Rizzo’s decision to sign Haren. There might have been a little too much “tinkering” with him early in the season. Now he says he’s going to forget about velocity and be himself–whatever that means.

Lots of Tigers fans at the Park. According to friends of mine, they were fun and knowledgeable. You rarely go to a game here without a few thousand fans of the other team showing. This is not a problem as long as they’re not Fillies fans, of course.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

BTW, there was discussion in the booth about Harper pulling up when a ball hit the wall and whether his recent crash prompted him to do so….not that that little punk didn’t irk me anyway.

• natslady - May 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

P.S., If you don’t like watching pitchers hit, wait’ll you see Haren run. (He’s an OK hitter, .221 career average), but he has the proverbial piano on his back.

• natslady - May 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Harper might be a little wall-shy for a while, no doubt. The local reporters who saw it said he had a very nasty gash in his side. Davey was not sorry he got he ejected, and conducted an amicable talk with Hirschbeck for several minutes afterwards.

“Wall-shy” was the knock on Werth, especially his first season with the Nats. But watching Werth for a while (and seeing him bang up against the wall in the playoffs for a GREAT snag), I realized Werth doesn’t play for the highlights, he paces for the long haul–not that it always works, he broke his wrist last May on a play he’s made thousands of times. If you catch one fly ball (or miss one) and it knocks you out for a few days, is it worth it?

Maybe Harper’s a “punk.” We don’t think so here in Nats Town watching him day-in day-out, but whatever.

9. Old Gator - May 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I didn’t realize that the Feesh game was mid-day, figgerin’ that they’re out on the sunset side and would be playing on their usual witching hour schedule. Turns out, there was no Feesh game anyway, just a Padres game, and that, barely. The Good Reecky showed up, peetched his heart out, and the only support he got was from his own jockstrap. The Feesh played three games with the Padres and scored exactly one run. Total. They looked like the Polish cavalry going up against the Panzers.

• Old Gator - May 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM

PS – with the loss, Feesh go a half game down on the Astros in the loss column and look ready to wrest their deserved title of worst team in MLB back from the Houstonians.

• natslady - May 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM

See, the Stros have the Angels to beat up on. ;) That’ll keep ‘em from losing 120. Y’all got that young kid pitcher. When is Stanton coming back–or has he just decided to sit out the season?

• Old Gator - May 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

A month to six weeks is the range we’re hearing. By the time he gets back, they’re going to have to lower him down to the team with a bucket and pulley.

10. proudlycanadian - May 9, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Are there any Red Sox fans out there that can explain what happened? Did Buchholz fail to share the spray on sun screen?

• aceshigh11 - May 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Man, you’re unbelievable.

The Jays lose YET AGAIN and all you can do is taunt the Red Sox.

At any rate, it appears that the Sox are finally coming back to Earth. We all knew it would happen at some point…frankly, they’ve already exceeded my expectations for the year. Any success beyond this point is gravy.

• nbjays - May 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Are you serious? The mission of every Jays’ fan (and every Yankees’ fan, Rays’ fan, O’s fan) is to taunt the Red Sox (and vice versa). It has zero to do with whether or not our team won.

• unclemosesgreen - May 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Boooooo

/throws Fenway sausage and peppers at a hoser

• proudlycanadian - May 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Yum! Could you send me another with just pickles and mustard on it?

• unclemosesgreen - May 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM

As a proud former Subway Sandwich Artist, I defer to the individual whims of the sandwich-eater at all times.

• proudlycanadian - May 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Thank you.

• proudlycanadian - May 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Got any Sam Adams beer that you could also send my way?

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

PC, hold out for some Steel Rail Pale Ale.

• unclemosesgreen - May 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Steel Rail Extra Pale – Oh yes. A thousand thumbs up lady. I would personally go for a Shipyard Old Thumper, but they are craft beer kissing cousins.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I wish I was kissing a pint of it now.

• dondada10 - May 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My kingdom for some LaBatt’s in NYC bars.

• Old Gator - May 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Uh…any hot smoked meat on rye around here anyplace? Hoagie rolls are soulless – object lessons in quantity over quality.

• unclemosesgreen - May 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Rye is the undisputed king of deli sandwich breads for me. I happen to live in a little hotbed of pastrami goodness.

11. grizzlystrike - May 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Kershaw is the whiniest pitcher on the mound

12. nolanwiffle - May 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Lighten up, Calc!

• heyblueyoustink - May 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Was thinking the same thing. Craig seems to be awfully cranky this morning, especially perplexing after a Braves win.

Maybe he needs some tea….. “We have blueberry, raspberry, ginseng, sleepy time, green tea, green tea with lemon, green tea with lemon and honey, liver disaster, ginger with honey, ginger without honey, vanilla almond, white truffel, blueberry chamomile, vanilla walnut, constant comment and… earl grey.”

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

This is America! We drink coffee! No taxation without representation! No taxation without representation!

• heyblueyoustink - May 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Coffee eh? Not unless I want my heart to palpatate right out the chest!

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

un-American

• heyblueyoustink - May 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

there are only three things that make you un-American: If you:

Have never seen “The Goonies”

Dislike bacon

Hate baseball. One thing to find it boring, to say you hate it? Revocation of rights.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Whew! I’m 1 for 3, so I guess I get to keep my citizenship.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Oops! 2 for 3, I meant.

13. rockthered1286 - May 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM

And the yardbirds continue to pile up the W’s! This one… Eh. Kinda ugly. I mean nobody feels great about 3 runs across the plate thanks to a few errors but I’ll take it. And another great game pitched by Tilly I may add! He’s definitely earned his spot in this rotation. And speaking of earning a spot- second start by Garcia today. Does he have have another great outing? Here’s to hoping because the thought of Arrieta or Britton back on the bump is enough to make me lose my Boog’s BBQ and Natty Boh. And they don’t taste as good coming up a they do going down. Then again, I don’t think anything really tastes better the second time around…

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Dude, they don’t taste that good going down. I know from experience.

• rockthered1286 - May 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I’ll defend Boogs- MD isn’t exactly the BBQ hub of the nation. Steamed crabs? Sure. Disease ridden street walkers? We’re up there. But you want good BBQ? Go south. That being said, we take what’s available up here and live with it! Even if it is like a $10 sloppy mess…

On the Boh front… I’ll make a confession that would get me kicked out of Baltimore if it ever became known- never had a Boh. It’s a Baltimore staple, but from everything I’ve ever heard it’s comparable to a Milwaukie’s Best, Natural Light, etc- just watered down nasty bur. And for that reason I’ve dodged it my whole life. Why spend $7.50 for a can of water at OPACY? I’ll continue to pass.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yeah, it’s bad stuff. Slightly better than Hamm’s but pretty much on par with the Beast. I drank it when I was young and broke cuz it’s party friendly. But, hell, we used to get jugs of Taylor’s table wine too. lol

14. largebill - May 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Worst thing about the blown replay call was Hernandez seemed to use the TV as an excuse saying something like “We couldn’t tell from the TV we have.” Could be wrong, but that makes it sound like the TV was of subpar quality. BS. I have a small, low-def TV here in my home office and it was very clear to me. I guarantee the umps have a better monitor.

• pdowdy83 - May 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I saw it on my iPad mini. If I could tell it was a homerun on a 7in screen streaming video than no matter what type of TV they had should have been pretty easy to see it on.

Angel Hernandez is confrontational and blows A LOT of calls. I know the homerun decision was not his alone because all 3 umps have to look at it but he is the crew cheif and he should have to deal with talking to the media when blowing a decisive call. Instead he refused to go on camera like a coward. MLB has several really awful umpires right now but I believe Angel is leading the way. Joe West has at least toned down his antics the last season + but Hirshbeck, Bucknor and Hernandez are all about themselves. The league really needs to find more Jim Joyce and Dan Iassogna types who stay out of the spotlight and handle the blame if they miss a call.

15. randomdigits - May 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

So when do the National media start talking about how “lucky” the Yankees are with their 6-1 record in one runs games?

• spellingcops - May 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Well they actually were lucky in their one run win last night. First base ump blew the safe call on the infield hit that scored the go ahead run in the 9th.

• yankees218 - May 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Well in order for the ump to have blown the call, Boesch would’ve had to actually be out, which he wasn’t. It was a good call.

16. Marty McKee - May 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM

That play at home the other night where Maddon got tossed may be worse. When Maddon stormed out of the dugout and pointed to the swipe marks in the dirt–conclusive proof that his runner touched home plate and should be called safe–the umpire, instead of changing his call to safe, ejected Maddon. Now that is the height of arrogance and hypocrisy.

17. hisgirlgotburrelled - May 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

The svelt Delmon Young showed off a cannon, twice, yesterday. Frozen rope. You could have hung laundry on it. All that stuff. After watching the hilarious GIF of him making one of the worst throws in baseball history several times I can say I was shocked… He fielded a ball off the wall and made a perfect throw, on the fly, to 2B, holding them to a single. Later he made a throw to 3B on the fly (I think 3B, can’t quite remember, neither throw made an out, but still impressive).

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Does documentary evidence of this exist?

• hisgirlgotburrelled - May 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Oh I wish. I couldn’t believe it myself. If only I had one of them fancy DVR’s. I looked for highlights of the game online, hoping one of the throws was in there.

18. slavetothetrafficlight - May 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM

They fined Ned Yost??? Now I’m all incensed about the Cleveland thing all over again!

19. stevem7 - May 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Another blown umpire call last night. I think we all know that Brennan was out at first but the umpire blew it. I’ll take it of course as the breaks even out over the course of the season. But we got away with one last night.

All the trade deadline news to know