May 9, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The wheels grind slowly, but they grind:
The Florida Department of Health, which sent a cease-and-desist order to Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch last month, says it has referred the case to the Miami State Attorney’s office and the Florida Attorney General’s office.
Ed Griffith, a spokesman for Miami State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, said local prosecutors can’t initiate a criminal investigation into Bosch — who allegedly provided performance-enhancing drugs to Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and two dozen other Major League Baseball players — until health officials provide prosecutors with evidence of criminal activity.
All of this is relevant for baseball only insofar as heat can be applied to Bosch in a manner which gives him an incentive to call out baseball players. Whether that is something that is at all valuable to the health officials who have thus far investigated him or prosecutors who will now consider the matter is an open question.
It was something interesting to federal prosecutors back in the Mitchell Report days and their desire to go after ballplayers has done absolutely nothing to benefit the careers of any federal prosecutors. Quite the contrary, actually. So it’s quite possible that all the Florida attorneys will care about is shutting down a crooked clinic and getting its owner behind bars.
Best way to do that: give ballplayers immunity and sealed testimony to sink him, actually. Which does not exactly help the aims of MLB in its desire to find dirt on these guys.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)