May 9, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The wheels grind slowly, but they grind:
The Florida Department of Health, which sent a cease-and-desist order to Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch last month, says it has referred the case to the Miami State Attorney’s office and the Florida Attorney General’s office.
Ed Griffith, a spokesman for Miami State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, said local prosecutors can’t initiate a criminal investigation into Bosch — who allegedly provided performance-enhancing drugs to Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera and two dozen other Major League Baseball players — until health officials provide prosecutors with evidence of criminal activity.
All of this is relevant for baseball only insofar as heat can be applied to Bosch in a manner which gives him an incentive to call out baseball players. Whether that is something that is at all valuable to the health officials who have thus far investigated him or prosecutors who will now consider the matter is an open question.
It was something interesting to federal prosecutors back in the Mitchell Report days and their desire to go after ballplayers has done absolutely nothing to benefit the careers of any federal prosecutors. Quite the contrary, actually. So it’s quite possible that all the Florida attorneys will care about is shutting down a crooked clinic and getting its owner behind bars.
Best way to do that: give ballplayers immunity and sealed testimony to sink him, actually. Which does not exactly help the aims of MLB in its desire to find dirt on these guys.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)