May 9, 2013, 4:06 PM EST
UPDATE: Even before Hanrahan’s meeting with Dr. James Andrews the Red Sox are placing him on the 60-day disabled list, which means no matter what the exam finds he won’t be eligible to pitch again until July. It’s an unusual move, at least timing-wise, and certainly suggests the Red Sox think he’s seriously injured.
On the disabled list with a strained right forearm, Red Sox right-hander Joel Hanrahan is scheduled to be examined further by Dr. James Andrews on Friday.
That’s obviously not a good sign and Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports that Hanrahan is worried the injury is “more serious than originally thought” because his elbow remains “bruised and badly discolored.”
Hanrahan’s medical info has also been sent to Dr. David Altchek, who frequently performs Tommy John surgery on pitchers as well. For now at least the initial MRI exam revealed no structural damage.
This is Hanrahan’s second disabled list stint in six weeks, but the first was due to a hamstring injury. In between he’s thrown 7.1 innings with a 9.82 ERA and more walks (6) than strikeouts (5).
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)