May 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not many players have the stature to be giving out votes of confidence to the longest-tenured manager in baseball, but a future Hall of Famer with a $240 million contract is one of them.
Sosh, he’s our head, and everybody goes to the head. He’s taking a lot of heat that he shouldn’t take. Us, the players–including myself–we’re not doing what we need to do. He writes the lineup, he makes decisions in the middle of the game, but at the end, he can’t pitch for us, he can’t play defense for us, he can’t hit for us. We need to take care of ourselves and do the things that we need to do to win.
All of which is reasonable, of course, but if in Pujols’ scenario a manager shouldn’t be blamed for players performing poorly then should a manager receive credit for players performing well? Obviously the answer is a resounding yes and in Scioscia’s case he has a pair of Manager of the Year awards to show for it.
Scioscia is signed through 2018, but the Angels haven’t made the playoffs since 2009 and currently only the Astros have a worse record among AL teams.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)