Mike Scioscia gets a vote of confidence from Albert Pujols

May 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Mike Scioscia, Albert Pujols AP

Not many players have the stature to be giving out votes of confidence to the longest-tenured manager in baseball, but a future Hall of Famer with a $240 million contract is one of them.

With the Angels really struggling and speculation about Mike Scioscia’s job security starting to swirl Albert Pujols stuck up for his manager, telling Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com:

Sosh, he’s our head, and everybody goes to the head. He’s taking a lot of heat that he shouldn’t take. Us, the players–including myself–we’re not doing what we need to do. He writes the lineup, he makes decisions in the middle of the game, but at the end, he can’t pitch for us, he can’t play defense for us, he can’t hit for us. We need to take care of ourselves and do the things that we need to do to win.

All of which is reasonable, of course, but if in Pujols’ scenario a manager shouldn’t be blamed for players performing poorly then should a manager receive credit for players performing well? Obviously the answer is a resounding yes and in Scioscia’s case he has a pair of Manager of the Year awards to show for it.

Scioscia is signed through 2018, but the Angels haven’t made the playoffs since 2009 and currently only the Astros have a worse record among AL teams.

1. rickdobrydney - May 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Time for him to go—–Need a change in that clubhouse —

2. andreweac - May 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Can the votes give Pujols and his terrible contract a vote of no confidence? His contract is far, far worse than Arods. Worst contract in the history of professional sport.

• gibbyfan - May 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Cant say that Andrew —not yet but maybe in a year or two.
      Doesnt seem like the theory of you can just buy a championship is working out too well lately, especially in the LA area. I know it’s early but loving it so far.Maybe someday the insanity will come under some degree of control

3. seitz26 - May 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I asked this on BTF yesterday, but interested what people here think. If you found someone to take the entirety of the Pujols and Hamilton contracts, but you also had to throw in Trout, and in return you got a package of low to mid level prospects, would you do it? Alternatively, if you were a GM, what would you be willing to give up for those three?

Right now, with those contracts, and the state of their farm system, this team may not be any good for the next decade. And I say that as a pretty big Angels fan.

• kingmiedus - May 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

That is just ridiculous. No way would I do that. You’ve got a giant budget to spend and it isn’t like there are a ton of guys to spend it on out there, definitely not enough to make up for the loss of Trout.

Also, the one thing no one ever looks at is I would think that with a lot of these giant contracts the guy isn’t expect to be worth it at the end. Those extra years at the end are essentially just delayed payments. If a player is expected to be the best player in the world and you think he is worth $50 million a year, why not just make it a 10 year contract at less than that per year so you have a much better cash flow situation?

Obviously these two haven’t lived up to expectations, but I’m saying if they did for the first number of years, I think the scenario above must be what GMs / owners are thinking when they give out these contracts.

• raysfan1 - May 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM

First you have to assume that the Pujols and Hamilton contracts hamstring the Angels from having the flexibility to make other roster moves. I don’t know if that’s true.

Assuming it’s true though, I would consider the requirement to throw in Trout a deal breaker. I would also require high level prospects as I don’t think either Hamilton or Pujols is washed up. They both got paid too much, and the contracts are too long, but I think both have a few good seasons left in them.

4. riverace19 - May 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I’d fire the GM first for paying a 38 year old first baseman who can’t run and a post druggie pretty boy who doesn’t give a shit… Oh yah throw in a terrible pitching staff on top of that. Not surprising.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

You would fire the guy YOU made sign Pujols and Hamilton? Because both of those deals came straight from ownership.

• jarathen - May 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Exactly. Arte went over DiPoto to make those deals.

• stlouis1baseball - May 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

But…you would need to fire yourself first RiverRace. After all…Moreno pulled the strings on these deals.

5. kelshannon19 - May 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Sweep!

6. riverace19 - May 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Sorry Angles fans… your team is rubbish… all glitz and no substance. Thumbs down me all you want but those thumbs downs are really a reflection of the Angels. Lovin’ every minute of it.

• jarathen - May 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Why would I give you a thumbs down? I know it’s rubbish and it’s almost unfixable for the immediate future. I don’t downvote the truth.

Why you need to gloat about it is your own business.

• asimonetti88 - May 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Which Angle do I need to be a fan of for this comment to apply to me? Right angles?

7. paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Wait a second. Managers SHOULD get credit for players playing well? Really? Matheny should get credit for being lucky enough to be in charge of a talented roster? BS. Do they get credit? Sure, should they? No. Managers get far too much credit/blame for being in charge of good/shitty rosters. The Angels’ roster didn’t look that good to start the year, the pitching looked horrible on paper, they added an expensive player (Hamilton) that is worse than the guy the let go (Hunter), and there was really no way Trout was going to repeat last year’s career year. Even with Pujols and Hamilton struggling, they are middle of the pack in runs scored while playing in a pitchers park….they just can’t get anybody out…which isn’t surprising given their roster of options.

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

You just say that because you don’t have Leyland the Love Guru in charge.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Jose Tigre FTW!

• historiophiliac - May 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

#1 or #2? Ortega pitched last night. No V-Wiggles.

• paperlions - May 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Doesn’t matter. More Jose Tigres = more better.

8. markofapro - May 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Their pitching is terrible. That’s the bottom line.
    Was it me, or did anyone else notice Hamilton’s face when he hit that home run last night? It was like, “I GOT A HIT! I GOT A HIT!”

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2500)