May 9, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
To replace him on the roster the Orioles called up Alex Burnett from Triple-A, but he’s strictly a reliever and they haven’t announced yet who’ll take Gonzalez’s turn in the rotation Saturday.
Gonzalez was a big part of the Orioles’ surprising playoff run last season, going 9-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 105 innings as a 28-year-old rookie. This year he had a 4.58 ERA in six starts.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 134
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (142)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)