May 9, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
To replace him on the roster the Orioles called up Alex Burnett from Triple-A, but he’s strictly a reliever and they haven’t announced yet who’ll take Gonzalez’s turn in the rotation Saturday.
Gonzalez was a big part of the Orioles’ surprising playoff run last season, going 9-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 105 innings as a 28-year-old rookie. This year he had a 4.58 ERA in six starts.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)