May 9, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
To replace him on the roster the Orioles called up Alex Burnett from Triple-A, but he’s strictly a reliever and they haven’t announced yet who’ll take Gonzalez’s turn in the rotation Saturday.
Gonzalez was a big part of the Orioles’ surprising playoff run last season, going 9-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 105 innings as a 28-year-old rookie. This year he had a 4.58 ERA in six starts.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 18
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)