May 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
A.J. Pierzynski kept insisting that he could avoid the disabled list despite straining his oblique muscle, but as usual baseball players don’t make particularly good doctors and the Rangers have placed him on the DL.
Pierzynski suffered the injury two weeks ago. He sat out two games, played four games, and then sat out four more games before finally being shut down.
Texas called up Robinson Chirinos from Triple-A to replace Pierzynski on the roster, choosing him over fellow catcher Eli Whiteside. Chirinos will back up Geovany Soto, who figures to get nearly all the starts behind the plate until Pierzynski returns.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)