May 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski kept insisting that he could avoid the disabled list despite straining his oblique muscle, but as usual baseball players don’t make particularly good doctors and the Rangers have placed him on the DL.
Pierzynski suffered the injury two weeks ago. He sat out two games, played four games, and then sat out four more games before finally being shut down.
Texas called up Robinson Chirinos from Triple-A to replace Pierzynski on the roster, choosing him over fellow catcher Eli Whiteside. Chirinos will back up Geovany Soto, who figures to get nearly all the starts behind the plate until Pierzynski returns.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)