May 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski kept insisting that he could avoid the disabled list despite straining his oblique muscle, but as usual baseball players don’t make particularly good doctors and the Rangers have placed him on the DL.
Pierzynski suffered the injury two weeks ago. He sat out two games, played four games, and then sat out four more games before finally being shut down.
Texas called up Robinson Chirinos from Triple-A to replace Pierzynski on the roster, choosing him over fellow catcher Eli Whiteside. Chirinos will back up Geovany Soto, who figures to get nearly all the starts behind the plate until Pierzynski returns.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)