May 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski kept insisting that he could avoid the disabled list despite straining his oblique muscle, but as usual baseball players don’t make particularly good doctors and the Rangers have placed him on the DL.
Pierzynski suffered the injury two weeks ago. He sat out two games, played four games, and then sat out four more games before finally being shut down.
Texas called up Robinson Chirinos from Triple-A to replace Pierzynski on the roster, choosing him over fellow catcher Eli Whiteside. Chirinos will back up Geovany Soto, who figures to get nearly all the starts behind the plate until Pierzynski returns.
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 33
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 59
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- Cardinals reportedly making a strong push to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 49
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)