May 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski kept insisting that he could avoid the disabled list despite straining his oblique muscle, but as usual baseball players don’t make particularly good doctors and the Rangers have placed him on the DL.
Pierzynski suffered the injury two weeks ago. He sat out two games, played four games, and then sat out four more games before finally being shut down.
Texas called up Robinson Chirinos from Triple-A to replace Pierzynski on the roster, choosing him over fellow catcher Eli Whiteside. Chirinos will back up Geovany Soto, who figures to get nearly all the starts behind the plate until Pierzynski returns.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)