May 9, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
When Zack Greinke fractured his collarbone during a benches-clearing brawl with Padres’ outfielder Carlos Quentin on April 11, he was originally expected to miss about eight weeks. However, he’s now on track to return well ahead of schedule.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Greinke will make a minor league rehab start tomorrow with High-A Rancho Cucamonga, just a shade under four weeks removed from his surgery. Assuming all goes well, he could make his return to the Dodgers’ rotation next Wednesday against the Nationals.
Greinke stretched out to 60 pitches during his most recent bullpen session on Tuesday, so he figures to throw somewhere in the area of 75 pitches tomorrow. It’s unlikely that he’ll be ready for a full workload if he’s activated next Wednesday, but the scuffling Dodgers will take what they can get.
Greinke, who joined the Dodgers over the winter on a six-year, $147 million contract, had a 1.59 ERA and 10/1 K/BB ratio over his first 11 1/3 innings of work this season prior to the benches-clearing incident.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)