May 10, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
I have some sympathy for anyone asked to do an MLB mock draft. Football and basketball are difficult enough, but baseball adds layers of extra complexity with the high school-college mix, signability issues, metal bats and so much else fouling in the mix. In a baseball mock draft, one might have a good idea of the top two or three picks, but there’s no surety after that. So, it makes sense to look at what teams did previously and see if there are some patterns that might repeat themselves. That’s what Baseball America’s Jim Callis did in projecting the White Sox pick in his mock today.
17. WHITE SOX: Chicago used its top choice on athletic outfielders in 2009 (Jared Mitchell), 2011 (Keenyn Walker) and 2012 (Courtney Hawkins), and could go that route again with Stanford’s Austin Wilson or Fresno State’s Aaron Judge, who have massive power potential and two of the best bodies in the draft. Sox executive Ken Williams is a former Cardinal outfielder himself.
PROJECTED PICK: AUSTIN WILSON.
OK, guys, three guesses what all of these “athletic” outfielders have in common. First two don’t count.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 11
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 16
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)