Curt Schilling talks PEDs, CHBs and SPFs

May 10, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT

Curt Schilling AP

Curt Schilling tackled a couple of hot topics on WEEI radio Friday: the David Ortiz-Dan Shaughnessy PED controversy and the Clay Buchholz ball-sliming scandal.

On the David Ortiz matter, Schilling backs his former teammate and knocks Shaughnessy for once again trying to insert himself into the news. “Because it’s as important for him to be a part of the story as it is to write the story,” Schilling said. “And players have a problem with that.”

He also talks about steroids in general and again states how he never knew how big of a problem it was a problem in his prime years. He believes the testing program now is much better than ever before, and he can’t resist taking a dig at another former teammate:

I do believe that including bloodwork was a game-changer. Here’s what I would say now: Now if you get caught, you’re either Manny Ramirez dumb or you’re going to such extremes to try and cheat and beat a blood test that you deserve whatever they throw at you. It’s obviously not going to stop everybody. But when the players’ association, rightfully so, agreed to include blood testing, that was a game-changer for me. It was something that I never ever thought the Players Association would approve or be OK with. But God bless them, they did.

On the subject of Buchholz and foreign substances, Schilling admitted that he used BullFrog sunscreen, too:

Here’s the thing: I did it. And I did it for the same reasons Clay did it. I would tell you there is no ballpark harder to grip a baseball in than the SkyDome [Rogers Centre]. It is the hardest and the driest environment — for me it was — in the big leagues. I had no saliva, I had cotton mouth in that stadium all the time. You needed something, and it was to keep a grip. You can’t cheat by getting an extra grip on the ball. That’s not how you cheat. You cheat by getting the ball moist and wet. If that was what Clay was trying to do, he would have been doing the opposite of what he actually did. You want the ball to be slick. You want it to be almost like — not spit, but water. He was actually using that stuff to keep a grip.

Jerry Spar has a lengthier transcript with more Schilling quotes over at WEEI.com, along with a link to the interview audio.

1. brandonmauk - May 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Figures the fat slob takes another shot at Manny and comes to the defense of a current Sox player

• MyNameIsWilliamBillForShort - May 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

In what universe is pointing out something as obvious as the day is long (That Manny Ramirez is dumb) “taking a shot” at him?

• brandonmauk - May 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

IDK. Making a reference to him? Use your brain, sweetie

• badintent - May 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM

And what the hell is IDK ? We got STFU, LOL, that’s enough. No more shorthand crap, type English above a 6th grade level so most of the posters here will understand.
        Manny gets my vote for the stupidest idiot on the plant. If he couldn’t hit a baseball, he’d be wiping car windows.

2. dondada10 - May 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Out of curiosity, did anybody see Schilling on Baseball Tonight last night? Particularly when he was discussing R.A. Dickey on the teleprompter?

He looked and was talking like he had just got done skiing, if you catch my drift.

• aceshigh11 - May 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

You mean he looked as coked up as Tony Montana after he buried his face in that mountain of cocaine sitting on his desk at the end of Scarface?

Is that what you were getting at? Ha.

• caeser12 - May 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Curt Schilling talks:

And that’s when I stopped reading and decided to go straight to the comments, because I know that they are/were better than anything that BLOW-hard had to say.

• badintent - May 11, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Say hello to my little friend !!!

• lmoneyfresh - May 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Maybe that’s where all that state money went. Straight up the nose.

• 18thstreet - May 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Man, it was so outrageous when Dan Shaugnessy accused David Ortiz of using drugs with proof.

Remember how we all thought that was awful!

Good times.

3. proudlycanadian - May 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

So Shilling also used sun screen indoors. What else did he use?

• aceshigh11 - May 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Cocaine, apparently.

• badintent - May 11, 2013 at 2:49 AM

same stuff hockey players put on their jocks !

4. bigharold - May 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

“You can’t cheat by getting an extra grip on the ball.”

Boy that’s a great big juicy rationalization.

Extra, .. as in not what occurs naturally? Getting “extra” grip by relying on a foreign substance is the very definition of cheating. Employing a foreign substance of any kind is patiently against the rules.

5. gwylie1 - May 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I wish someone at had the balls to call this guy out on how he stole millions from tax payers

6. thebigtim2012 - May 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

He didn’t steal anything. The only thing he is guilty of is being bad at business. So are a long long list of former pro athletes. The only one that did anything wrong was the politician that ok’d the loan without doing any kind of due diligence on the state if the company. I met curt several times when his company was headquartered in little Maynard, MA. He was always a very nice and gracious person I don’t really get all the hate that gets thrown at him. And to say he’s on coke, really of all the things to take trash about and that’s what you bring to the table?

• stlouis1baseball - May 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Easy Big Tim. You will get nowhere on this board using logic. You see…trashing Curt Shilling as a big business…money loving…greedy bastard is the “trendy” thing to do. And unfortunately, about 85% of the people on HBT appear to be more concerned with being, appearing and/or faking their “trendiness” than acutally discussing real world events and how reality actually plays a huge part in it.

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Kiss my grits!

• badintent - May 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Reality . Dangerous word on this blog. Some of these posters could work as spin doctors for Odrama on subjects like Benghazi or IRS harrassing Tea party Pac money groups. That White House press conference was pathetic today. Stop lying white house.

• APBA Guy - May 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

This is hard for me because some of the stuff Curt has said about business, employees, etc is jaw-dropping, but I actually agree with you. Basically he was in over his head, but the state funded money he received was generated through standard practices in Rhode Island. I’ve been with plenty of start ups here in Silicon Valley that go out of business. Some took state or federal money either directly or with tax breaks. It’s never pretty when a business goes under, but stealing it isn’t. There appears to have been no misrepresentation on Schilling’s part, just what I’d call naivete:

• badintent - May 11, 2013 at 2:59 AM

It is stealing when the company takes public tax money and the CEO and COO pays themself over a million dollars a year in salaries right up to the minute the company goes broke.Look up some solar energy company the Obama adminstration threw $500 million at for start up money. Went broke. Made Enron look legit

• hockeyflow33 - May 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I’d agree with you. He’s an incredibly nice person and very thoughtful as well. He even donated a large sum of money to a charity run I was doing after a tweet to him.

I can’t imagine I’m the only person with a story like this about him. He’d be a national hero in Texas but because it’s here in the liberal garbage can of Mass people act like he’s garbage.

7. scatterbrian - May 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM

as long as he’s not talking about MMORPGs…

8. elmo - May 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

“You want it to be almost like — not spit, but water.”

Bucholz uses a lot of water out there — on his hair, on his uniform. The question is, does he mix it with rosin and/or sunscreen?

9. jpaynethemayne - May 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

i heard bucholz slicks his hair back with vicks vapor rub

10. Kevin Gillman - May 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Okay Curt, now I want to know if that bloody sock was fake.

11. dirtyharry1971 - May 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Curt went to congress to talk about steroids and he couldnt wait to do it, when he got there he said hardly anything. I cant prove anything but i always thought his career showed the “typical” steroid user pattern. Cotton mouth? Thats a funny one curt, but hey with that said if i am right and curt did cheat he wasnt alone the whole sport was so im not going to single out

12. thebigtim2012 - May 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Dirty Harry you are seriously the only person to ever spew that garbage at least in my limited viewing. You obviously never watched the man pitch. Started out with a good bit of power then as he aged he went to perfect control. A typical steroid case would have probably stayed a power pitcher, but he became a finesse control pitcher in his later years. Dumbass comments like that are the greatest disservice to the game since the steroid scandal broke. You clearly don’t like the man so instead of using fact you sling a load of bs against the wall. You are a f-ing coward.

13. Walk - May 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM

If schilling liked the ball slick like he is saying why does he then say he did the same thing buchholz is accused of? If he could get better results from a slick ball I would think that’s what he would try to do, not make it easier to hit by getting a better grip and keeping it straighter. You would think he liked pitching in Toronto if what he says is true, I kinda feel like I am not being told the truth here.

14. badintent - May 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Curt used Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil Cream. For everything.Slick.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5168)