May 10, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After more than a week riding the pine, Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth will be placed on the disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The move will be retroactive to May 3, making Werth eligible to return on May 18.
GM Mike Rizzo called the strain “very slight” and is confident Werth will be ready after a week of rest.
CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman has more:
The Nationals have been playing a wait-and-see game with Werth over the last week, hoping each day he’d be ready to return from what originally was termed nothing more than hamstring cramps. The club believed it might actually have been a result of dehydration from a stomach ailment, a condition for which Werth has since begun taking antibiotics.
The Nationals plan to wait until after tonight’s series opener against the Cubs to officially place Werth on the DL and then will promote a replacement outfielder from Class AAA Syracuse: either Eury Perez or Jeff Kobernus.
Werth had a slow first month of the season, walking at half his career average rate and is still missing the power he last displayed as a member of the Phillies. He carries a .260/.308/.400 line as he heads to the DL.
In other injury-related news, left fielder Bryce Harper is out of the lineup tonight after undergoing a procedure to remove an ingrown toenail. Manager Davey Johnson told the media Harper had been dealing with it for a few days. He should be ready to return to the lineup tomorrow.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 76
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)