May 10, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
After more than a week riding the pine, Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth will be placed on the disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The move will be retroactive to May 3, making Werth eligible to return on May 18.
GM Mike Rizzo called the strain “very slight” and is confident Werth will be ready after a week of rest.
CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman has more:
The Nationals have been playing a wait-and-see game with Werth over the last week, hoping each day he’d be ready to return from what originally was termed nothing more than hamstring cramps. The club believed it might actually have been a result of dehydration from a stomach ailment, a condition for which Werth has since begun taking antibiotics.
The Nationals plan to wait until after tonight’s series opener against the Cubs to officially place Werth on the DL and then will promote a replacement outfielder from Class AAA Syracuse: either Eury Perez or Jeff Kobernus.
Werth had a slow first month of the season, walking at half his career average rate and is still missing the power he last displayed as a member of the Phillies. He carries a .260/.308/.400 line as he heads to the DL.
In other injury-related news, left fielder Bryce Harper is out of the lineup tonight after undergoing a procedure to remove an ingrown toenail. Manager Davey Johnson told the media Harper had been dealing with it for a few days. He should be ready to return to the lineup tomorrow.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (256)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)