May 10, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
After more than a week riding the pine, Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth will be placed on the disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The move will be retroactive to May 3, making Werth eligible to return on May 18.
GM Mike Rizzo called the strain “very slight” and is confident Werth will be ready after a week of rest.
CSN Washington’s Mark Zuckerman has more:
The Nationals have been playing a wait-and-see game with Werth over the last week, hoping each day he’d be ready to return from what originally was termed nothing more than hamstring cramps. The club believed it might actually have been a result of dehydration from a stomach ailment, a condition for which Werth has since begun taking antibiotics.
The Nationals plan to wait until after tonight’s series opener against the Cubs to officially place Werth on the DL and then will promote a replacement outfielder from Class AAA Syracuse: either Eury Perez or Jeff Kobernus.
Werth had a slow first month of the season, walking at half his career average rate and is still missing the power he last displayed as a member of the Phillies. He carries a .260/.308/.400 line as he heads to the DL.
In other injury-related news, left fielder Bryce Harper is out of the lineup tonight after undergoing a procedure to remove an ingrown toenail. Manager Davey Johnson told the media Harper had been dealing with it for a few days. He should be ready to return to the lineup tomorrow.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)