Johnny Cueto resumes rehab assignment

May 10, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

Johnny Cueto resumed his minor-league rehab assignment after putting things on hold due to an oblique injury, throwing 50 pitches and three innings yesterday at Single-A.

Cueto, who’s recovering from a strained lat muscle, allowed one run on four hits in three innings, walking zero and striking out four.

C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Cueto will throw around 80 pitches and five innings in his next rehab start, suggesting he’ll likely make at least one more appearance in the minors after that before rejoining the Reds’ rotation.

1. jimmyt - May 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Fights like a girl.

2. lpd1964 - May 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Pitches like an Ace

• Old Gator - May 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Which is all that matters to the homeboy type who’s just been washed out from under his trailer by locally heavy rains. Considerations of conduct as an alleged human being? Not so much.

• jm91rs - May 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Well Gator, after your years of bitching and moaning about Cueto, you’ve convinced me. I no longer look to my team to win baseball games, I only care about whether or not they behave civilly in a fight. It’s now more important to me to look at athletes as role models than look to them to win ball games. Of course I’ll need to ignore the fact that my nephew met Johnny Cueto when he was visiting sick kids at Childrens Hospital last month, and that it’s pretty much the highlight of his otherwise miserable stay there (he did meet Votto as well). All that matters is that Cueto kicked LaRue and nothing he could do from now til the end of eternity could ever change that.

• Old Gator - May 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Yes, and the Fuhrer loved children too. Not that I’m comparing Cueto to Hitler on an apples and apples basis – I can distinguish between a psychotic mass murderer and a common thug with the best of them – but the fact that he visits children’s hospitals – something that team PR directors set up for their ballplayers routinely – proves what? That he’s got a softer heart than cleats?

• jm91rs - May 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Ha, after comparing hitler to cueto you say you’re not comparing hitler to cueto. Nice.

And let’s not let the fact that the girl staying next to my nephew is Dominican and her dad personally reached out to cueto before the day game, and he showed up that night at the hospital get in the way. Lets ignore the fact that it wasn’t an obligation at all, because he did kick someone once. That’s an unforgivable act.

3. callmecynical - May 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hey Aaron,

Give the Dayton Dragons some ink. They are the single A team he’s with right now. They are a class act. I’ve seen a number of big leaguers come up through DD. Awesome park, awesome potential.

Come see a game some time if you can get a ticket. They are sold out for the next couple of millenia.

4. bengalsucker - May 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM

oh the irony of a cards fan calling a reds player a thug is too funny. too bad they have the biggest thug in baseball (or should I say cholo to be correct to his nationality?) in Molina behind the plate who started the fight. lol

• Old Gator - May 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Oh the irony of a Reds fan who can’t put two and two together and is too dense and stupid to realize that you don’t have to be a Cards fan – I’m not one – to be disgusted by Cueto’s cowardice and brutality – as you’ve been reminded multiple times but, like most other things, it can’t penetrate those thick layers of bone where your frontal cortex ought to be.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5434)