May 10, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
The moment Josh Hamilton signed with the Angels I began wondering when T.J. Simers would saunter up to him and do his usual antagonistic shtick. The answer: yesterday. And what’s Hamilton’s awful transgression for which Simers demands answers: he smiles.
Uh-oh, we’ve got another smiler. This catches on and we won’t have any athletes around town who appear as if they give a rip … Worse yet, and you would hope there is a competitor brewing down deep there, Hamilton comes across like the poster child for every athlete who knows he has guaranteed money coming.
It’s never good when the fans seem to care more than the guys competing to win or lose.
Because everyone knows that a player who is struggling but looks upset and angry is better to have than a player who is struggling and looks calm. And everyone knows you can tell how much someone cares by how agitated they appear to be.
Hamilton hit two home runs in the past two games. Simers credits himself for that, of course. The guy is just … man.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)