May 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EST
It seems Louisville Slugger has a monopoly on the pink labels for Mother’s Day bats permitted by MLB.
The Orioles’ Nick Markakis, the Nationals’ Jayson Werth and the Twins’ Trevor Plouffe were among the players informed by the league Friday that they won’t be able to use their custom label MaxBats on Sunday.
Of course, this isn’t going over particularly well.
Markakis on not being able to use his MaxBat w pink label Sunday: “it would mean a little more to me w myMom being a breast cancer survivor
— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) May 10, 2013
Plouffe, likewise, has a mother who is a cancer survivor.
Sorry Mom. I can’t use my Breast Cancer Awareness bat on Sunday because @sluggernation “owns the rights”. Because that’s what it’s about…
— Trevor Plouffe (@TPlouffe24) May 10, 2013
Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan says the Diamondbacks’ Jason Kubel, the Mariners’ Kendrys Morales and the Red Sox’s Jonny Gomes were also planning on using specially designed MaxBats on Sunday.
While Louisville Slugger has no exclusive deal with MLB in regards to the pink bats, they do own the rights to pink labels, which seems to be the problem here.
Update: Passan clarifies the matter in his article for Yahoo! Sports, saying Louisville Slugger bought its exclusive rights by making a charitable donation to an MLB partner. According to the agreement, other companies can make pink bats for use on Mother’s Day, but those bats must not include any “ribbons, corporate logos, distinguishing marks or names of charities.”
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 0
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)