May 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
It seems Louisville Slugger has a monopoly on the pink labels for Mother’s Day bats permitted by MLB.
The Orioles’ Nick Markakis, the Nationals’ Jayson Werth and the Twins’ Trevor Plouffe were among the players informed by the league Friday that they won’t be able to use their custom label MaxBats on Sunday.
Of course, this isn’t going over particularly well.
Markakis on not being able to use his MaxBat w pink label Sunday: “it would mean a little more to me w myMom being a breast cancer survivor
— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) May 10, 2013
Plouffe, likewise, has a mother who is a cancer survivor.
Sorry Mom. I can’t use my Breast Cancer Awareness bat on Sunday because @sluggernation “owns the rights”. Because that’s what it’s about…
— Trevor Plouffe (@TPlouffe24) May 10, 2013
Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan says the Diamondbacks’ Jason Kubel, the Mariners’ Kendrys Morales and the Red Sox’s Jonny Gomes were also planning on using specially designed MaxBats on Sunday.
While Louisville Slugger has no exclusive deal with MLB in regards to the pink bats, they do own the rights to pink labels, which seems to be the problem here.
Update: Passan clarifies the matter in his article for Yahoo! Sports, saying Louisville Slugger bought its exclusive rights by making a charitable donation to an MLB partner. According to the agreement, other companies can make pink bats for use on Mother’s Day, but those bats must not include any “ribbons, corporate logos, distinguishing marks or names of charities.”
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 119
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 78
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (116)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)