Quote of the Day: The Blue Jays are playing “hard as crud”

May 10, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

Crud

R.A. Dickey got a no-decision and the Blue Jays got the loss last night. Yet another loss in a season full of them so far. Dickey explains that it’s not about the lack of effort:

“It’s just sad, because you pour your heart and soul into the game and it doesn’t always end up in a win. We’re playing hard. We’re not maybe playing the smartest baseball, but we’re playing hard as crud.”

That’s a new one to me.

1. southofheaven81 - May 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

All I know is that I really need to see Crud!

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Watch the Mets.

2. stex52 - May 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Oh fudge! I know how he must feel. Just makes you want to sugar.

• jarathen - May 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

They must be so frosting frustrated.

• cur68 - May 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Fork Me. I know JUST how he feels. Poot.

• sophiethegreatdane - May 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

What in the french toast is going on up there?

• number42is1 - May 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM

oh look… we have a bunch of comedians here.. none of you are funny.. you should really just Shut the Front Door

• stex52 - May 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Oh Frank! Don’t be such a dipstick.

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM

This whole thing turned into something like “Die Hard” when it’s censored, which is a goshdang shame.

• johnterra - May 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I am sick of all these monkey-fighting posts on this monkey-fighting plane!…er…page!

• indaburg - May 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Pour some sugar on me.

Actually, crud is the new grit.

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I prefer Richard Kimble’s nemesis to the drummer with one arm. Rocket or no rocket.

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Enjoyed the stage show, gents! Thanks for the Friday follies.

3. dondada10 - May 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I saw this in a movie once. They should have their AAA catcher turn the Sky Dome sprinklers on, resulting in an unexpected off-day.

Then, proceed is goofy, team-bonding, base sliding.

Stand back and watch the win-streak unfurl…

• flosox - May 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

You probably also think that strikeouts are fascist…

4. jarathen - May 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I often wonder how good a Blue-Jays/Angels squad would be.

I think they’d still be not good enough.

5. alexo0 - May 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I think Dickey just blamed another loss on his teammates.

6. mybrunoblog - May 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Every season there are a bunch of teams that have what the media and fans call “a great off season”. These teams are expected to contend and be right there in the mix. Usually however, 1 or 2 of these teams take a Crud and wind up under .500 with a fired manager. 2013? See: Blue Jays and Dodgers.

• stex52 - May 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I would consider the Angels for that title also, although I’m not sure it applies as well. People suspected they might have trouble with their pitching.

But it’s also early. They could all still win if they don’t get too far behind.

7. hoopmatch - May 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Isn’t crud the stuff that Bucholz was loading the ball with?

8. sportsdrenched - May 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Shoot! looks like you guys have the faux cussing taken care of. I’m kind of an etymology dork. If that type of thing interests you I highly suggest this book:

Now buzz-off, all of you.

• stex52 - May 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Cool. In spite of what you might think from my rather lame comments above, I am fascinated with etymology myself.

9. Old Gator - May 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM

When you’re a born-again Christian like Dickey, the self-censors are working overtime warping incandescently dirty words into watercolor-wash euphemisms. The effect can be….decorative. But since we’re recommending books today, I’d like to recommend this French poststructuralist classic about how cultural sensors select and expel, like excrement, words deemed unsuitable from a language (in this case French, but the principle holds for all languages spoken by puckered societies):

• sportsdrenched - May 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I got thrown out of a Bible Study once because I argued that God doesn’t care what words you use (that whole language changes over thousands of years thing), it’s what’s going on in your brain/heart that makes a difference.

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hey, next time, drop some bad words and then tell them you decided just to be saved by grace. See how that goes.

• Old Gator - May 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Never got thrown out of Bible study class, but got shushed or drew dirty looks from the perfesser (unless they were Jebs still living Teilhard down) or the novitiates in class, on quite a few occasions, for bringing up Mesopotamian and Zoroastrian precursors of Biblical myths. Fortunately, this wasn’t in Rick Perry’s Texas so I’m still here to laugh about it.

• Gamera the Brave - May 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

A few years ago I met a new colleague, an Afghan. She told me she was a Zoroastrian. I started at her for a few seconds, then told her she looked terrific for a 3000-year-old.

She (metaphorically) patted me on the head, and explained that Zoroastrianism is still practiced. A little…

10. dirtyharry1971 - May 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

jays are a train wreck, you are glad you are not part of it but you cant help but to watch it just to see how bad its going to be

11. howsmyrash - May 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

They really just don’t have enough will to win. Because that’s all you really need in baseball.

12. xpensivewinos - May 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’m just amazed that GMs never seem to learn and these guys are entrusted with the fate of their organization.

Collecting random high-priced guys is no way to build a team and more often than not, it just blows up in their face. The Blue Jays are the AL version of the Dodgers this year.

………..and watching Bautista swing for a 20-run home run every time he swings the bat is laughable. Why do the Blue Jays even have a hitting coach?

13. canadatude - May 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

My informants tell me that terrorists fired a CRUD missile at Rogers Centre (still want to say the Sky Dome).

14. thebadguyswon - May 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Noah Syndergaard dominated again last night. Just sayin.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2827)