Red Sox CEO Tom Werner goes after the media for making unfounded accusations against Red Sox players
May 10, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
This is somewhat unusual: Tom Werner, the CEO of the Boston Red Sox has taken to MLB.com to respond to Dan Shaughnessy’s accusing questions to David Ortiz about PED use and various media members’ accusations against Clay Buchholz about doctoring the baseball:
I fully acknowledge the right the media has to ask difficult questions and to express controversial opinions. Freedom of the press is fundamental in our culture.
They had the right, but was it right?
We’re in a new media world, and fact-less accusations stick. Those who publicly ask questions must take responsibility for their words … In today’s media world, the question — even if it’s false, inflammatory and without real basis — can become the story.
I get this. Particularly in the case of David Ortiz (the Buchholz accusations seem to have at least some basis to them). He’s upset about it and understandably so.
At the same time: the Red Sox front office has been notorious for years for floating anonymous smack about people against whom they have a beef, including to the very Boston Globe which Werner is now criticizing. So maybe, just maybe, there is a culture there to which his organization as at least partially contributed, yes?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)