Red Sox CEO Tom Werner goes after the media for making unfounded accusations against Red Sox players
May 10, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
This is somewhat unusual: Tom Werner, the CEO of the Boston Red Sox has taken to MLB.com to respond to Dan Shaughnessy’s accusing questions to David Ortiz about PED use and various media members’ accusations against Clay Buchholz about doctoring the baseball:
I fully acknowledge the right the media has to ask difficult questions and to express controversial opinions. Freedom of the press is fundamental in our culture.
They had the right, but was it right?
We’re in a new media world, and fact-less accusations stick. Those who publicly ask questions must take responsibility for their words … In today’s media world, the question — even if it’s false, inflammatory and without real basis — can become the story.
I get this. Particularly in the case of David Ortiz (the Buchholz accusations seem to have at least some basis to them). He’s upset about it and understandably so.
At the same time: the Red Sox front office has been notorious for years for floating anonymous smack about people against whom they have a beef, including to the very Boston Globe which Werner is now criticizing. So maybe, just maybe, there is a culture there to which his organization as at least partially contributed, yes?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)