May 10, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
It’s the night for apologies, apparently. Jack Morris apologized to Clay Buchholz earlier; now, we have Roy Halladay apologizing to Phillies fans for having pitched poorly and ultimately landing on the disabled list for a lengthy period of time.
Halladay was booed walking off the field in the third inning of his start against the Marlins on May 5 after surrendering nine runs, the final four on a grand slam to Adeiny Hechavarria. He received further criticism from fans after it was revealed he had pitched despite feeling shoulder discomfort.
“I’ve been thinking just the last couple of days,” Halladay said. “I just felt like I should address the fans. I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive.
“So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don’t get to see what they want to see. I know I’m not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it’s a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I’m missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I’m missing the time.
In 34.1 innings across seven starts, Halladay had an 8.65 ERA which would have been the worst mark in baseball if not for Phil Humber. The right-hander is expected to miss most of the season as he will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. Halladay himself is confident he will be able to come back and contribute before the end of the regular season.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)