May 10, 2013, 9:55 PM EST
It’s the night for apologies, apparently. Jack Morris apologized to Clay Buchholz earlier; now, we have Roy Halladay apologizing to Phillies fans for having pitched poorly and ultimately landing on the disabled list for a lengthy period of time.
Halladay was booed walking off the field in the third inning of his start against the Marlins on May 5 after surrendering nine runs, the final four on a grand slam to Adeiny Hechavarria. He received further criticism from fans after it was revealed he had pitched despite feeling shoulder discomfort.
“I’ve been thinking just the last couple of days,” Halladay said. “I just felt like I should address the fans. I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive.
“So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don’t get to see what they want to see. I know I’m not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it’s a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I’m missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I’m missing the time.
In 34.1 innings across seven starts, Halladay had an 8.65 ERA which would have been the worst mark in baseball if not for Phil Humber. The right-hander is expected to miss most of the season as he will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. Halladay himself is confident he will be able to come back and contribute before the end of the regular season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)