Roy Halladay apologizes to Phillies fans

May 10, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT

roy halladay getty Getty Images

It’s the night for apologies, apparently. Jack Morris apologized to Clay Buchholz earlier; now, we have Roy Halladay apologizing to Phillies fans for having pitched poorly and ultimately landing on the disabled list for a lengthy period of time.

Halladay was booed walking off the field in the third inning of his start against the Marlins on May 5 after surrendering nine runs, the final four on a grand slam to Adeiny Hechavarria. He received further criticism from fans after it was revealed he had pitched despite feeling shoulder discomfort.

Via Matt Gelb:

“I’ve been thinking just the last couple of days,” Halladay said. “I just felt like I should address the fans. I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive.

“So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don’t get to see what they want to see. I know I’m not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it’s a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I’m missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I’m missing the time.

In 34.1 innings across seven starts, Halladay had an 8.65 ERA which would have been the worst mark in baseball if not for Phil Humber. The right-hander is expected to miss most of the season as he will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. Halladay himself is confident he will be able to come back and contribute before the end of the regular season.

1. randygnyc - May 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM

At least he doesn’t have to rush back for the post season. Thank God for small favors.

• schmedley69 - May 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I think your parents owe the world an apology.

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Booo!!!!

/throws…don’t do it!…gah!….smacks hand…

2. ncphilliesguy - May 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Doc is pure class, a throwback, character of a champion.

3. sgtr0c - May 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Get well, Doc.

4. deweyks - May 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Now where’s Angel Hernandez’s apology?

5. dutch31 - May 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Doc the last guy that needs to apologize. As a Phillies fan who watches probably 75% of their total innings played, it was so clear that he was hurt, sick or both. Phil’s GM should have made him get fully checked before the season. Wish him nothing but the best!!!

6. jimmywho14 - May 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Class act all the way. No need to apologize Doc. I was at that last game he pitched and it was painful to watch. I just hope he can come back from this and be effective again. Id hate to see him turn into a shell of what he was.

7. tfbuckfutter - May 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Ugh.

Every time someone apologizes to Philly fans an adorable baby penguin gets anal cancer.

• HitsDingers - May 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Not cool. I love ZWR

8. heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Hey buckfutter, if you weren’t shooting tongue darts to the anal areas of penguins in general, there’d be less chance for infection overall!

In other news, classy move by Doc, and IMHO, those who booed, are ingrates.

• tfbuckfutter - May 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

What’s a tongue dart?

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

IDK, but if anyone should know, it’s probably a Phan. ;)

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I know historio, I know.

But you know what, I’m single malting tonite, so if you need a diagram buckfutter, I’m sure I can come up with something., perhaps something along the ” The apparition of face and a fruit dish on the the beach” would be in order?

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Holy shamoly, blue. What kind of single malt is that? I can’t find my Scotch-English dictionary. I have no idea what that means, but I’m pretty sure it reeked of brotherly love.

• tfbuckfutter - May 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Let’s move on from the cantankerousness of the beginning of this conversation and move on to the single malt (art is not my forte unless we are talking Vermeer or Matisse and even then I am limited….this is all I can truly say I specifically recall of Dali: http://24.media.tumblr.com/19f23555fc4fb3fac0b991ae8e69683d/tumblr_mert2xrnjx1r5ho5so1_400.gif…..and no, historio, I can’t link it to Kevin Bacon)….

Is it presumptuous to assume Lagavulin?

• historiophiliac - May 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

You boys have fun with your Scotch and culture references.

• heyblueyoustink - May 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

See that, buckfutter, now I see you totally differently.

From the Glen only, a bit snobbish perhaps, but how I was taught when Introduced. Through the peat if I’m not mistaken.

Not too bad for a child of the ghetto.

And Historio, we discussed this earlier, I’m just branching out from then typical silver screen references.

No screaming though, that just looks painful.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

You two actually have a lot in common. You could probably wear each other out challenging one another in the Kevin Bacon game. You’r both serious movie fiends.

• tfbuckfutter - May 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Oh I have run my share of Laphroaig through this liver.

The Isley is easily my favorite scotch.

I used to be a huge scotch snob but honestly, I would default to bourbon. I go through cycles of being scotch-centric, tequila-centric and bourbon-centric…..but if I had to pick one, it’d be bourbon.

• heyblueyoustink - May 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

The seven degrees of Kevin Bacon is rather easy.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM

How hard should I make it? Hmmmm….do you feel like working tonight or do you want some softballs?

• tfbuckfutter - May 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I brought up Emmanuel Lewis (as a joke in a thread about Allen “Webster”) earlier so just for fun I’m going to do that while I finish my tequila and then get up at 6:30 to work a damn weekend shift…..

Emmanuel Lewis was Webster on the show Webster with Alex Karras and his wife Susan (Susanne?) Clarke…..who were in Porky’s with Kim Cattrell who was on Sex in the City with Sarah Jessica Parker who was in Footloose with Kevin Bacon.

(That was fun because I actually thought I was going to go through Police Academy….which would have been harder….but, umm….also for fun….Kim Cattrell in Police Academy with George Gaines (and a lot of other cast members) who was in PA 4 with Sharon Stone who was in Basic Instinct with Micheal Douglas who was in The Game with Sean Penn who was in Mystic River with KB).

Jesus, it’s like when a song gets stuck in your head and you can’t get rid of it….except you CAN get rid of it. It’s an earworm that isn’t terrible.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM

That’s entirely too easy. How about Renee Russo? Wait, is that too easy?

9. mungman69 - May 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Buckfutter; you should apologize for being born. No class. You fit right in.

• tfbuckfutter - May 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I fit right in with Phillies fans because I have no class?

Ok.

10. duckthefodgers - May 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Ok, now phillies fans your turn.

11. evanwins - May 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I don’t believe, or at least I can’t remember, an athlete apologizing to his team’s fans for either not performing or for not being available (injured) to perform. Not Jeter, not Jordan, not any of the “class acts” in any sport.

TOTAL CLASS. UNPRECEDENTED CLASS.

To anyone, like randy or buckfutter, who could see this and say anything negative about it, you should try to learn something by his actions and words. You won’t, because from what I can tell you’re both fairly miserable human beings.

And he’s not talking to you anyway, he’s apologizing to Phillies fans. So stay the fuck out of it.

• duckthefodgers - May 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Jeter and Jordan never had to apologize for.

• duckthefodgers - May 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

*nothing

• bleedgreen - May 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

You didn’t see Jordan play baseball, did you?

12. joeflaccosunibrow - May 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I feel bad for him, until we compare paychecks.

In all seriousness, this dude has put in more innings over the last decade then most umpires. He is a cool cat. You would never see ARod apologize for sucking so bad. He gets paid about $1 million per HR.

13. drone501 - May 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

an athlete getting booed in philly? would never happen.

14. largebill - May 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

To repeat several other people’s comment, CLASSY, but completely unnecessary.

15. oasiserfede - May 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Does Halladay need to apologize for being injured? No. Pitching is very unhealthy for your body. Injuries happen.
    Does Halladay need to apologize for loss of his outstanding ability through injury or just normal wear and tear? No. It will inevitably happen.
    What I don’t understand, is the incessant need for players, especially pitchers, to play through pain, when it is clearly affecting ability.

16. stlouis1baseball - May 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Nice gesture by Halladay.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2757)