May 10, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Santiago Casilla has had a cyst in his right knee since last year, but the Giants reliever has been hurting enough lately that he’s expected to be unavailable for several days.
Casilla had to leave Wednesday’s game mid-inning due to the pain and Chris Haft of MLB.com reports that the right-hander may try wearing a brace on the mound to lessen the discomfort.
Casilla appeared in 73 games for the Giants last season and worked 19 of the team’s first 35 games this year, so he’s been remarkably durable for a 32-year-old with a bum knee. And maybe a little time off will do his arm some good long term.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)