May 10, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Santiago Casilla has had a cyst in his right knee since last year, but the Giants reliever has been hurting enough lately that he’s expected to be unavailable for several days.
Casilla had to leave Wednesday’s game mid-inning due to the pain and Chris Haft of MLB.com reports that the right-hander may try wearing a brace on the mound to lessen the discomfort.
Casilla appeared in 73 games for the Giants last season and worked 19 of the team’s first 35 games this year, so he’s been remarkably durable for a 32-year-old with a bum knee. And maybe a little time off will do his arm some good long term.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)