May 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Shelby Miller completely outclassed the Rockies’ offense tonight, throwing a one-hit shutout at Busch Stadium. The Rockies entered the night with the National League’s best offense, averaging five runs per game, but after a lead-off single by Eric Young in the first inning, they couldn’t muster any semblance of a threat as the Cardinals went on to win 3-0. Miller, the Cardinals’ first round pick (19th overall) in 2009, retired the final 27 hitters he faced, striking out 13 of them as he lowered his ERA on the season to 1.58.
Miller’s performance adds to the Cardinals’ dominating starting rotation. Their aggregate 2.20 ERA is best in baseball by a long shot, outpacing the Tigers at 3.22. The high-quality innings from the rotation is a welcome sight as the Cardinals bring up the rear in bullpen ERA at 5.14, especially brutal having lost closer Jason Motte for the season to Tommy John surgery.
The Cardinals scored once in the second on a Pete Kozma RBI single, once in the third on a Carlos Beltran home run, and once in the fifth on a Jon Jay sacrifice fly. The win moves the Cardinals to 22-12 and they remain three games ahead of the Reds in the NL Central.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 37
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)