May 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Shelby Miller completely outclassed the Rockies’ offense tonight, throwing a one-hit shutout at Busch Stadium. The Rockies entered the night with the National League’s best offense, averaging five runs per game, but after a lead-off single by Eric Young in the first inning, they couldn’t muster any semblance of a threat as the Cardinals went on to win 3-0. Miller, the Cardinals’ first round pick (19th overall) in 2009, retired the final 27 hitters he faced, striking out 13 of them as he lowered his ERA on the season to 1.58.
Miller’s performance adds to the Cardinals’ dominating starting rotation. Their aggregate 2.20 ERA is best in baseball by a long shot, outpacing the Tigers at 3.22. The high-quality innings from the rotation is a welcome sight as the Cardinals bring up the rear in bullpen ERA at 5.14, especially brutal having lost closer Jason Motte for the season to Tommy John surgery.
The Cardinals scored once in the second on a Pete Kozma RBI single, once in the third on a Carlos Beltran home run, and once in the fifth on a Jon Jay sacrifice fly. The win moves the Cardinals to 22-12 and they remain three games ahead of the Reds in the NL Central.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)