May 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Shelby Miller completely outclassed the Rockies’ offense tonight, throwing a one-hit shutout at Busch Stadium. The Rockies entered the night with the National League’s best offense, averaging five runs per game, but after a lead-off single by Eric Young in the first inning, they couldn’t muster any semblance of a threat as the Cardinals went on to win 3-0. Miller, the Cardinals’ first round pick (19th overall) in 2009, retired the final 27 hitters he faced, striking out 13 of them as he lowered his ERA on the season to 1.58.
Miller’s performance adds to the Cardinals’ dominating starting rotation. Their aggregate 2.20 ERA is best in baseball by a long shot, outpacing the Tigers at 3.22. The high-quality innings from the rotation is a welcome sight as the Cardinals bring up the rear in bullpen ERA at 5.14, especially brutal having lost closer Jason Motte for the season to Tommy John surgery.
The Cardinals scored once in the second on a Pete Kozma RBI single, once in the third on a Carlos Beltran home run, and once in the fifth on a Jon Jay sacrifice fly. The win moves the Cardinals to 22-12 and they remain three games ahead of the Reds in the NL Central.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)