May 10, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Relatively unprecedented. From MLB:
Umpire Fieldin Culbreth, the crew chief in Thursday night’s game between the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park in Houston, has received a two-game suspension and a fine for the misapplication of Official Baseball Rule 3.05(b) in the top of the seventh inning, Major League Baseball announced today.
The other members of Culbreth’s crew – Brian O’Nora, Bill Welke and Adrian Johnson – have received fines stemming from the same sequence of events … Culbreth’s two-game suspension will be served at a date to be determined by the Office of the Commissioner.
We’ve heard that sometimes umpires get disciplined, but it’s rarely if ever publicized like this. Good for baseball for doing the right thing.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)