May 10, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Relatively unprecedented. From MLB:
Umpire Fieldin Culbreth, the crew chief in Thursday night’s game between the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park in Houston, has received a two-game suspension and a fine for the misapplication of Official Baseball Rule 3.05(b) in the top of the seventh inning, Major League Baseball announced today.
The other members of Culbreth’s crew – Brian O’Nora, Bill Welke and Adrian Johnson – have received fines stemming from the same sequence of events … Culbreth’s two-game suspension will be served at a date to be determined by the Office of the Commissioner.
We’ve heard that sometimes umpires get disciplined, but it’s rarely if ever publicized like this. Good for baseball for doing the right thing.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)