May 11, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow has already been pushed back once this week due to neck and back stiffness, but now the Blue Jays have scratched him Sunday’s scheduled start against the Red Sox. Chad Jenkins, who was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to take Rajai Davis‘ spot on the roster, will make the start in his place.
According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, the decision was made after Morrow played catch this morning with pitching coach Pete Walker. He underwent an MRI yesterday which revealed no structural damage, so the hope is that he’ll be ready to go Wednesday against the Giants.
“At this point it looks like I’m probably going to go Wednesday,” he said. “I came in this morning with the intention of pitching tomorrow but throwing, everything felt OK, I could go out there and pitch, but I don’t think it would be real effective. …
“It’s a big difference from just feeling good walking around, to throwing a baseball.”
Morrow is off to a disappointing start this season, posting a 4.69 ERA and 34/17 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over seven starts. Toronto’s starters are 29th in the majors this season with a 5.66 ERA. Only the Astros (5.99 ERA) have been worse.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)