May 11, 2013, 2:33 PM EST
Brandon Morrow has already been pushed back once this week due to neck and back stiffness, but now the Blue Jays have scratched him Sunday’s scheduled start against the Red Sox. Chad Jenkins, who was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to take Rajai Davis‘ spot on the roster, will make the start in his place.
According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, the decision was made after Morrow played catch this morning with pitching coach Pete Walker. He underwent an MRI yesterday which revealed no structural damage, so the hope is that he’ll be ready to go Wednesday against the Giants.
“At this point it looks like I’m probably going to go Wednesday,” he said. “I came in this morning with the intention of pitching tomorrow but throwing, everything felt OK, I could go out there and pitch, but I don’t think it would be real effective. …
“It’s a big difference from just feeling good walking around, to throwing a baseball.”
Morrow is off to a disappointing start this season, posting a 4.69 ERA and 34/17 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over seven starts. Toronto’s starters are 29th in the majors this season with a 5.66 ERA. Only the Astros (5.99 ERA) have been worse.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)