May 11, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow has already been pushed back once this week due to neck and back stiffness, but now the Blue Jays have scratched him Sunday’s scheduled start against the Red Sox. Chad Jenkins, who was called up from Triple-A Buffalo to take Rajai Davis‘ spot on the roster, will make the start in his place.
According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, the decision was made after Morrow played catch this morning with pitching coach Pete Walker. He underwent an MRI yesterday which revealed no structural damage, so the hope is that he’ll be ready to go Wednesday against the Giants.
“At this point it looks like I’m probably going to go Wednesday,” he said. “I came in this morning with the intention of pitching tomorrow but throwing, everything felt OK, I could go out there and pitch, but I don’t think it would be real effective. …
“It’s a big difference from just feeling good walking around, to throwing a baseball.”
Morrow is off to a disappointing start this season, posting a 4.69 ERA and 34/17 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over seven starts. Toronto’s starters are 29th in the majors this season with a 5.66 ERA. Only the Astros (5.99 ERA) have been worse.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)