Bryce Harper to miss second straight game following procedure for ingrown toenail

May 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EST

Bryce Harper AP AP

Bryce Harper had a procedure yesterday to remove an ingrown toenail from his right foot and will sit out his second straight game today.

Amanda Comak of the Washington Times notes that Harper still felt a little tenderness in his toe while hitting today. Still, it’s considered relatively minor and he could be back as soon as tomorrow. And no, I can’t find it within myself to link to the picture of Harper’s toe. But feel free to check out his Twitter account if you want to be thoroughly grossed out.

With Jayson Werth officially on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, the Nationals are going with Tyler Moore in left field today and Roger Bernadina in right.

1. blacksables - May 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Wow. According to the posters and commentors here, Bryce Harper walks on water. I surprised a toenail is keeping him out of action.

Or is he really human after all?

• ptfu - May 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

If Achilles had a heel, then why can’t Harper have a toe?

2. chacochicken - May 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I dropped the corner of a refrigerator on my big toe. Split the nail right down the middle and hurt like righteous hell. It was almost intolerable until I pulled the whole thing out with a pair of pliers. I wore flip flops for at least 10 days. I’d hate to have to put spikes on for at least a day or two. Toes and fingers seem so little but sure can hurt alot.

3. josemartez - May 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Ingrown toenails make wearing socks excruciating. Don’t blame him one bit for taking a couple days off.

4. thenaturalmevs - May 11, 2013 at 3:13 PM

There’s no bigger Harper fan than me. Believe me.

But it’s like, always something with this guy.

Always in the headlines. Always missing games for this or that. Always knicked up. Or getting ejected. Or playing sick. Or has a fever. Or is arguing with Ozzie Guillen. Or making a brash quote to a reporter.

Just get out there and play. Make headlines for what you do in the box score. That’s one thing I admire about Trout. The son of a gun goes out and quietly goes about his business on a daily basis. And I think Harper has more talent. But it’s just ALWAYS something with him.

• heyblueyoustink - May 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Most of the time I’m a little tongue in cheek whe talking about Bryce Achilles Harper. But two years ago, some of the things he says, his body language, screamed “punk” whenever I saw him.

I think there’s talent, but Strawberry had unlimited talent too. He might not have the chops for greatness.

• bigmeechy74 - May 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Yep. “No bigger Harper fan than you.” Obviously.

5. inversedoob - May 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

i ran track with ingrown toenails until a teammate saw my bloody socks when i took my flats off. at first i just had them clipped without killing the growth matrix or whatever its called. after three sessions of this the doc finally put phenol or some sheet in there to keep the nail from growing back on the edges. best money my insurer ever spent.

6. ch0psuey - May 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Not the most handsome injury one could have right?

7. jimeejohnson - May 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Guys like Cal Ripken would have pulled that ingrown bad boy out with a pliers, then played. Yeah, right!

8. jimeejohnson - May 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Cal Ripken would have pulled that ingrown bad boy out with a pliers, ok? Yeah,right!

• jimeejohnson - May 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Apologies for the double post (Double Post Police).

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester