May 11, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
It was pretty clear that Joel Hanrahan was dealing with a serious injury when the Red Sox moved him to the 60-day disabled list earlier this week, but now we have some clarity on the situation. And it’s not good.
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Hanrahan confirmed this morning that he will undergo season-ending surgery on his flexor tendon. Hanrahan said that he didn’t really have a choice, as the tendon is “torn off the bone.” Ouch.
Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports that Hanrahan will likely have the surgery next week. The repair of the flexor tendon will sideline him for six months, though there’s a chance he could also require Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, which would knock him out of action for at least one year.
Hanrahan was acquired from the Pirates during the offseason to serve as Boston’s closer, but he ended up posting a 9.82 ERA and 5/6 K/BB ratio in 7 1/3 innings with the club. The 31-year-old is set to hit the free agent market this winter. It’s worth noting that Mark Melancon, one of the players sent to Pittsburgh in the Hanrahan deal, has a 0.50 ERA and 18/0 K/BB ratio over 18 innings this season.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 15
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 42
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 32
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)