May 11, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
It was pretty clear that Joel Hanrahan was dealing with a serious injury when the Red Sox moved him to the 60-day disabled list earlier this week, but now we have some clarity on the situation. And it’s not good.
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Hanrahan confirmed this morning that he will undergo season-ending surgery on his flexor tendon. Hanrahan said that he didn’t really have a choice, as the tendon is “torn off the bone.” Ouch.
Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports that Hanrahan will likely have the surgery next week. The repair of the flexor tendon will sideline him for six months, though there’s a chance he could also require Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, which would knock him out of action for at least one year.
Hanrahan was acquired from the Pirates during the offseason to serve as Boston’s closer, but he ended up posting a 9.82 ERA and 5/6 K/BB ratio in 7 1/3 innings with the club. The 31-year-old is set to hit the free agent market this winter. It’s worth noting that Mark Melancon, one of the players sent to Pittsburgh in the Hanrahan deal, has a 0.50 ERA and 18/0 K/BB ratio over 18 innings this season.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)