May 11, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
It was pretty clear that Joel Hanrahan was dealing with a serious injury when the Red Sox moved him to the 60-day disabled list earlier this week, but now we have some clarity on the situation. And it’s not good.
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Hanrahan confirmed this morning that he will undergo season-ending surgery on his flexor tendon. Hanrahan said that he didn’t really have a choice, as the tendon is “torn off the bone.” Ouch.
Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports that Hanrahan will likely have the surgery next week. The repair of the flexor tendon will sideline him for six months, though there’s a chance he could also require Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, which would knock him out of action for at least one year.
Hanrahan was acquired from the Pirates during the offseason to serve as Boston’s closer, but he ended up posting a 9.82 ERA and 5/6 K/BB ratio in 7 1/3 innings with the club. The 31-year-old is set to hit the free agent market this winter. It’s worth noting that Mark Melancon, one of the players sent to Pittsburgh in the Hanrahan deal, has a 0.50 ERA and 18/0 K/BB ratio over 18 innings this season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)