May 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Jordany Valdespin has been productive in on-and-off playing time with the Mets this season, memorably hitting home runs in the clutch on April 24 and May 1. Valdespin also plays, as manager Terry Collins describes, “with flair”. The 25-year-old hit a home run in the ninth inning last night against the Pirates and admired his handiwork, though his team was down 7-1 at the time.
The Pirates were none too pleased and Collins seemed to expect them to retaliate this afternoon. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“Now will they throw at [Valdespin]? I have no idea. Fifteen years ago the answer would have been yes. I can’t say that’s going to happen in today’s game. They won the game. I’m sure it’s over with. But, you know, a lot of teams have long memories.”
Valdespin pinch-hit for reliever LaTroy Hawkins in the bottom of the seventh this afternoon and he was promptly hit with a 94 MPH fastball by Bryan Morris. Despite having been lectured about the ramifications of his on-field actions, Valdespin was noticeably unhappy that he was thrown at, and ended up throwing a fit in the dugout after the inning according to SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt.
Is the tradition of throwing at hitters who insult you barbaric? Absolutely. But it is part of the game nevertheless and this isn’t the first time Valdespin has raised eyebrows with his quirky behavior.
.gifs of the homer and the plunking below:
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)