May 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Jordany Valdespin has been productive in on-and-off playing time with the Mets this season, memorably hitting home runs in the clutch on April 24 and May 1. Valdespin also plays, as manager Terry Collins describes, “with flair”. The 25-year-old hit a home run in the ninth inning last night against the Pirates and admired his handiwork, though his team was down 7-1 at the time.
The Pirates were none too pleased and Collins seemed to expect them to retaliate this afternoon. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“Now will they throw at [Valdespin]? I have no idea. Fifteen years ago the answer would have been yes. I can’t say that’s going to happen in today’s game. They won the game. I’m sure it’s over with. But, you know, a lot of teams have long memories.”
Valdespin pinch-hit for reliever LaTroy Hawkins in the bottom of the seventh this afternoon and he was promptly hit with a 94 MPH fastball by Bryan Morris. Despite having been lectured about the ramifications of his on-field actions, Valdespin was noticeably unhappy that he was thrown at, and ended up throwing a fit in the dugout after the inning according to SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt.
Is the tradition of throwing at hitters who insult you barbaric? Absolutely. But it is part of the game nevertheless and this isn’t the first time Valdespin has raised eyebrows with his quirky behavior.
.gifs of the homer and the plunking below:
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (107)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)