May 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Jordany Valdespin has been productive in on-and-off playing time with the Mets this season, memorably hitting home runs in the clutch on April 24 and May 1. Valdespin also plays, as manager Terry Collins describes, “with flair”. The 25-year-old hit a home run in the ninth inning last night against the Pirates and admired his handiwork, though his team was down 7-1 at the time.
The Pirates were none too pleased and Collins seemed to expect them to retaliate this afternoon. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“Now will they throw at [Valdespin]? I have no idea. Fifteen years ago the answer would have been yes. I can’t say that’s going to happen in today’s game. They won the game. I’m sure it’s over with. But, you know, a lot of teams have long memories.”
Valdespin pinch-hit for reliever LaTroy Hawkins in the bottom of the seventh this afternoon and he was promptly hit with a 94 MPH fastball by Bryan Morris. Despite having been lectured about the ramifications of his on-field actions, Valdespin was noticeably unhappy that he was thrown at, and ended up throwing a fit in the dugout after the inning according to SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt.
Is the tradition of throwing at hitters who insult you barbaric? Absolutely. But it is part of the game nevertheless and this isn’t the first time Valdespin has raised eyebrows with his quirky behavior.
.gifs of the homer and the plunking below:
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)