May 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Jordany Valdespin has been productive in on-and-off playing time with the Mets this season, memorably hitting home runs in the clutch on April 24 and May 1. Valdespin also plays, as manager Terry Collins describes, “with flair”. The 25-year-old hit a home run in the ninth inning last night against the Pirates and admired his handiwork, though his team was down 7-1 at the time.
The Pirates were none too pleased and Collins seemed to expect them to retaliate this afternoon. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“Now will they throw at [Valdespin]? I have no idea. Fifteen years ago the answer would have been yes. I can’t say that’s going to happen in today’s game. They won the game. I’m sure it’s over with. But, you know, a lot of teams have long memories.”
Valdespin pinch-hit for reliever LaTroy Hawkins in the bottom of the seventh this afternoon and he was promptly hit with a 94 MPH fastball by Bryan Morris. Despite having been lectured about the ramifications of his on-field actions, Valdespin was noticeably unhappy that he was thrown at, and ended up throwing a fit in the dugout after the inning according to SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt.
Is the tradition of throwing at hitters who insult you barbaric? Absolutely. But it is part of the game nevertheless and this isn’t the first time Valdespin has raised eyebrows with his quirky behavior.
.gifs of the homer and the plunking below:
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)