May 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Jordany Valdespin has been productive in on-and-off playing time with the Mets this season, memorably hitting home runs in the clutch on April 24 and May 1. Valdespin also plays, as manager Terry Collins describes, “with flair”. The 25-year-old hit a home run in the ninth inning last night against the Pirates and admired his handiwork, though his team was down 7-1 at the time.
The Pirates were none too pleased and Collins seemed to expect them to retaliate this afternoon. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:
“Now will they throw at [Valdespin]? I have no idea. Fifteen years ago the answer would have been yes. I can’t say that’s going to happen in today’s game. They won the game. I’m sure it’s over with. But, you know, a lot of teams have long memories.”
Valdespin pinch-hit for reliever LaTroy Hawkins in the bottom of the seventh this afternoon and he was promptly hit with a 94 MPH fastball by Bryan Morris. Despite having been lectured about the ramifications of his on-field actions, Valdespin was noticeably unhappy that he was thrown at, and ended up throwing a fit in the dugout after the inning according to SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt.
Is the tradition of throwing at hitters who insult you barbaric? Absolutely. But it is part of the game nevertheless and this isn’t the first time Valdespin has raised eyebrows with his quirky behavior.
.gifs of the homer and the plunking below:
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)