May 11, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT
The story, written by Adam Kilgore, goes in-depth on the roots and mechanics of Harper’s swing. It includes an anecdote about how the young phenom had an important realization at about 7 or 8 years old. Yes, while most of us were watching cartoons and drinking juice boxes, Harper was thinking critically about his swing.
Kilgore’s story is complemented by a wealth of data, ranging from how Harper is pitched to his success rate against particular pitches. Finally, there’s an interesting video breakdown of Harper’s swing which shows an eerie similarity to one of the best home run hitters in history.
Tremendous work all around. Put aside 10 minutes and check it all out. It’s well worth your time.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11