May 11, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Tigers reliever Octavio Dotel got a second opinion on his ailing right elbow from Dr. James Andrews. The good news is there is no structural damage, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck on Twitter. The 39-year-old, though, will continue resting for another six days. Dotel was placed on the disabled list on April 23, retroactive to the 20th.
Dotel posted an ugly 13.50 ERA in 4.2 innings to start the season, most of the damage being done in his last start on April 19, when he allowed five runs in two-thirds of an inning to the Mariners. The Tigers re-signed the well-traveled veteran in the off-season on a one-year, $3.5 million deal after he was effective in the seventh and eighth innings in 2012.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17