May 11, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Tigers reliever Octavio Dotel got a second opinion on his ailing right elbow from Dr. James Andrews. The good news is there is no structural damage, per MLB.com’s Jason Beck on Twitter. The 39-year-old, though, will continue resting for another six days. Dotel was placed on the disabled list on April 23, retroactive to the 20th.
Dotel posted an ugly 13.50 ERA in 4.2 innings to start the season, most of the damage being done in his last start on April 19, when he allowed five runs in two-thirds of an inning to the Mariners. The Tigers re-signed the well-traveled veteran in the off-season on a one-year, $3.5 million deal after he was effective in the seventh and eighth innings in 2012.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 8
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)