May 11, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
After leaving last night’s game with a strained left oblique, Blue Jays outfielder Rajai Davis was placed on the 15-day disabled list this morning.
Davis told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca that the injury has been nagging him since earlier this week, but he appeared to aggravate it when he grounded out in the fourth inning last night. Oblique injuries tend to heal slowly, so attempting to play through the pain can be counterproductive. He’ll now get some extended rest.
Davis, 32, is batting .284/.326/.395 with one home run, four RBI and a .721 OPS in 87 plate appearances this season. He’s tied for third in the American League with eight stolen bases.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)