May 11, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
After leaving last night’s game with a strained left oblique, Blue Jays outfielder Rajai Davis was placed on the 15-day disabled list this morning.
Davis told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca that the injury has been nagging him since earlier this week, but he appeared to aggravate it when he grounded out in the fourth inning last night. Oblique injuries tend to heal slowly, so attempting to play through the pain can be counterproductive. He’ll now get some extended rest.
Davis, 32, is batting .284/.326/.395 with one home run, four RBI and a .721 OPS in 87 plate appearances this season. He’s tied for third in the American League with eight stolen bases.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 38
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29