Settling the Score: Friday’s results

May 11, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

Jon Lester Getty Getty Images

Cardinals rookie right-hander Shelby Miller grabbed headlines around baseball last night for his dominating performance against the Rockies, but Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester was nearly perfect in his own right, as he tossed a one-hit shutout as part of a 5-0 victory over the Blue Jays.

It was the 10th complete game of Lester’s career and his third shutout. He faced one batter over the minimum, as the only baserunner was a two-out double by Maicer Izturis in the sixth inning. Lester struck out five in the victory and is now 5-0 with a 2.73 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio in 52 2/3 innings across eight starts this year.

As Joe Lemire of SI.com notes, this is the first time since 1916 (the first year Baseball Reference has searchable game-by-game data) that two pitchers threw one-hit, no-walk complete games on the very same night. Of course, we have had two no-hitters on the same day before, but today’s hurlers have a tough act to follow.

Your Friday box scores:

Cubs 3, Nationals 7

Indians 4, Tigers 10

Brewers 3, Reds 4

Orioles 9, Twins 6 (10 innings)

Pirates 7, Mets 3

Rangers 4, Astros 2

Rockies 0, Cardinals 3

Padres 3, Rays 6

Phillies 2, Diamondbacks 3

Angels 7, White Sox 5

Marlins 5, Dodgers 4

Yankees 11, Royals 6

Athletics 3, Mariners 6

Braves 2, Giants 8

1. Old Gator - May 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I may have some of the details confused here but I think it was Dazzy Dean who, having pitched the first game of a doubleheader during the second game of which his brother Dizzy threw a no-hitter, remarked, “Whah heyck, if ah’d’a knowed my brother was gonna throw a no-hitter, ah’d’a throwed one too.”

• jwbiii - May 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

A little backwards, but otherwise spot on. Dizzy threw a three hit shutout in the opener and Daffy threw a no hitter in the nightcap.

• fearlessleader - May 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Sorry, jwbii, for some reason your comment didn’t show up before I posted mine.

• fearlessleader - May 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM

You’re close. :) It was Dizzy who pitched a three-hitter in the first game against the Brooklyn Dodgers, Daffy (Paul) who threw the no-no in the nightcap, and Dizzy who said the famous quote to his brother in the locker room afterward.

If I had a time machine, one of the first things I’d do is watch the Gas House Gang play ball.

2. natslady - May 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

♫I got doubles,♫ I got Desi, I got my D-Span, who could ask for anything more? Who could ask for anything more?♫♫♪♫♪

Detwiler was far from great. He needed Web gems from Span, Bernadina, Suzuki (check out the tag at home plate!) and others. But he got through it, and Samardzija’s fastball was tasty.

Mr. Strasburg: your turn. Chancy weather expected, passing thunderstorms. Deal with it.

• Old Gator - May 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Great use of notes. Can you put the registers up too? Oh, I discern endless possibilities for trolling here….

• Old Gator - May 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

PS – Samardzija’s fastball always tasted like a stuffed spinach special from Giordano’s to me, but I’ve heard some say that it taste more like the pepperoni thin crust from Uno’s. That’s ridiculous. Pepperoni breaks away from the hitter.

• natslady - May 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

It’s not the correct rhythm, which is too bad, considering the title of the song. Maybe next time.

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I wasn’t too happy about my favorite mullet being knocked around but that was very cute, natslady.

3. Old Gator - May 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Okay, I considerately segregated the Dazzy/Dizzy post from the Feesh post to keep the line, often blurry, between the sublime and the redikkilous as clear as possible.

I was impressed with how young Jose Fernandez settled down after coughing up three runs without getting an out in the bottom of the first on that Adrian Gonzalez dinger. You couldn’t touch him after that. And on the day when Chris Valaika got some pins inserted into his wrist, his replacement, Derek (AA) Dietrick, crushed his first ML dinger to even the score so that his newfound teammates could win it a couple of innings later.

I swear, I’ve been so distracted by the Feesh’s struggle with the Astros for the crown of thistles of worst team in the majors that I had no idea how bad the Bums have gotten. On paper, the MASH-tent Feesh shouldn’t have a prayer against them.

And the vitriol of Bums fans against Don Mattingly afterwards on the sports blogs – they’re never going to forgive him for being Borg at his core, are they? I mean, they sound like Tea Party Republicans talking about the Benghazi emails on Yahoo blogs.

4. indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Strange pitching night for the Rays and Cobb, but I’ll take the win. Per the infographic during last night’s game, it was the first time since 1974 that a pitcher struck out 4 batters in an inning, and gave up a run in the same inning–no hits involved. Cobb, a ground ball pitcher, also struck out 13 in 4 2/3 inning, for a K/9 ratio of over 25. That should be sustainable. Another nice 9th for ‘Nando.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Why aren’t there any good afternoon games today? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :(

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Ooooooh, don’t let ‘lions hear you. Rockies at the pretty little red birds, at 2:15 my time? Oh, I get it. You’re trolling.

You know, they really are gorgeous birds, those cardinals. I’m not much of a bird watcher, but on my lunch break a couple of days ago, there was one flying around our outdoor picnic table. I like to get a little fresh air and quiet during lunch. I got a picture on my phone, but not a good one. Every time I got close, he flew to another branch. Tease.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Meh, it’s no scissor-tailed flycatcher. I was thinking I’d probably be blacked out from that game actually. MLB considers us part of the STL market — just like the ASTROS! I mean, STL is only like 400 mi/6 hrs from here, but that’s obviously the metro viewing area.

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

The cardinal is no scissor-tailed flycatcher, but it sure is pretty with those flashy plumes, red as a Vegas hooker’s lips.

I don’t get the black out policies. Atlanta is about 6 hours from my house (the way I drive) and I get their games. Miami is very close, and I get those games too. In fact, I’ve prayed, cajoled, and written letters to MLB and Brighthouse to get Miami games blacked out, to no avail. The midwest is getting hosed, yo.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Bizarrely, I live in an MLB-free state and I am in 4 MLB markets. I feel sorry for you b/c MLB is obviously trolling you. You may be getting Marlins-boarded.

paper will be glad to know you’ve got your eye on his Vegas hooker lips.

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Damn you, Bud Selig! I damn you to… Oh, I don’t know. An eternity on a treadmill. Cardio sucks.

Henceforth, Cardinals red will be known as “Vegas Hooker Lips Red.”

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM

That may replace my favorite nail polish (OPI I’m Not Really A Waitress).

PS If you couldn’t do much cardio, you might find you miss it. :(

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Very true.

I am going to come up with a whole bunch of colors for baseball loving chicks. “Slap my ass after a homer” pink, “Hit by a baseball” blue, “Pine Tar” black…

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

HBPiD green…

(I’m going to censor my immediate response. :P)

• paperlions - May 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM

That’s okay, I’m generally bored by Rays and Tigers games unless they are playing a good team.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Did we pee in your corner or something? :(

• paperlions - May 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Just joking….I’ll watch almost any game and enjoy it…even though I generally don’t care who wins in non-Cardinal games (excepting NL rivals vying for playoff spots), there is always something or someone I like to watch play….even on the Tigers.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

You are in timeout. And, if I was really mean, I’d put the kibosh on your OK goodness for the day.

Sometimes, I secretly watch NL games.

• paperlions - May 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

When I watch Tiger games, I root for rare things to happen, like Cabrera making an out.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I hope Angel Hernandez & Joe West ump your game!

• paperlions - May 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Well, that’s just mean.

I didn’t say I rooted for Miggy or JV to get hurt….and of course, the rooting for an out thing was facetious….any time I watch him hit, he is fantastic (which is why discussion of RBI I annoy me, those things are a byproduct of his awesomeness, not the awesomeness itself or even the best evidence of it)….when he makes an out, it always seems like the pitcher just got lucky.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I see Kozma has 12 RBI now.

• blacksables - May 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

MLB is just offering you the opportunity to be one of the best fans in baseball.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I’m blacked out.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I’m blacked out.

5. aceshigh11 - May 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Jon Lester is THE MAN. Awesome performance.

Apologizes to proudlycanadian for his thorough humiliation of the already enfeebled Toronto Blue Jays.

• proudlycanadian - May 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Apologies accepted.

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear about Rajai. That man can run. I’m telling you, pc. Build a shrine. It works.

• proudlycanadian - May 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Unfortunately, Rajai can’t run without pain. I will think about the appropriate shrine.

6. dondada10 - May 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

We’re gonna have a manager fired soon, I can feel it in my bones.

Donny Baseball?

• dirtyharry1971 - May 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Gibbons and AA should be the first two fired, the expectations of that team coming in and when you see how terrible they are there is no excuses there. If it wasnt for the astros they would be the worst team in the American league. 13-24 9 /12 games back and were we are in the 2nd week of may and so far they have won “1” series so far!! Are you kidding me?

• abaird2012 - May 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

AA’s seat may be a little toasty, but Gibbons is only dealing with what he’s got …

7. randygnyc - May 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yankees cruised to victory on the backs of replacement players Nix and Overbay and reliever Kelley. DOOM! And Granderson is on the Horizon.

• dondada10 - May 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Doom indeed, Randy. I’ll be the first one to eat crow: What Cashman and Girardi are doing is impressive

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM

It’s May. Don’t hurry to eat it just yet.

• dondada10 - May 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I could easily write a very inappropriate response to that, Histori.

• historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Well, that’s a mental picture of you and randy I didn’t need…lol

• indaburg - May 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM

‘philiac, May 9th was officially adequate sample size day. Using the excuse “it’s only May” is losing its luster. People with far more time and inclination than the two of us did the math:

Yes, it’s May, but what (/lowering my voice to a bare whisper) Cashman has done is impressive so far. I’m eating a small slice of humble pie. Anyone who knows me knows that I freaking hate pie. There’s still a lot of baseball to be played, of course. This pie tastes like crap.

• yarguy - May 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I haven’t seen it remarked elsewhere on here, so I would note that it was Girardi’s 500th win as Yankee manager. Doesn’t seem he has been around that long, but the Yanks do win a lot of games each year so they mount up pretty fast.

• deathmonkey41 - May 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I know there’s a good chance that these replacement Yankees fade down the stretch, but I am not anxious to bring back the pull-happy strikeout artists, Granderson and Texeira. I like the way this Yankees team is playing right now and I don’t care about his 40HRs. To me, Grandersons 150+ strikeouts is going to be a bigger factor. This strikeout or homer approach the Yankees have taken in recent years has driven me crazy. I also hate that they constantly hit into the shift. Tex hasn’t gone to left field batting lefty since coming over. I really hope they trade this year or let Granderson walk at the end of this season. I know he’s a good guy, but I hate his approach at the plate. I think bringing both Granderson and Tex back into the fold is going to upset the Yankees team play rather than help it.

8. historiophiliac - May 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM

There were only two innings in the game last night that the Tigers did not score, and they came in 1’s and 3’s….that must mean something, right? Prince went BOOM! Miggy went BOOOM! Dirks went BOOM — wait, what? I gotta find a Dirks meme now. LMAO He looked surprised and like a kid in a candy store at the same time. He’ll probably still have his swagger on today.

In all fairness, the Indians played some really crappy defense. There was a lot of ball dropping, bad throws and whatnot. Perhaps it’s due to having to wear what is probably the dumbest/ugliest cap in the game. Only Francona looked okay in it, and that’s because he rocks it like a Disney character himself.

After we won our game, I switched to the Orioles, who were very behind, and they came back to win. You’re welcome. I do like to watch McLouth, Davis, Jones & Mojito in action. I tried to work my magic on the Phillies after that, but it was too late in the game. You had opportunities, Phils, but you just couldn’t score. The moral of the story is my juju isn’t as good as Svelte Delmon Young’s. :( Gots to eat my spinach today.

• janessa31888 - May 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM

This Indians fan wants Corey Kluber to return to the minor leagues ASAP. Pathetic. As for the bad defense, well everybody has one of those nights. These guys are still getting used to each other after the major team overhaul. I fear that Ubaldo will get crushed tonight. If he gives up less than 6 runs I will be shocked.

9. APBA Guy - May 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Last year’s strength is this year’s weakness: A’s SP Dan Straily, called up to replace Brett Anderson, gets knocked around by, wait for it, the Mariners, whom no one would think of in answer to the question “Name a potent MLB offense”, to contribute to the A’s 5th loss in a row. Iwakuma, on the other hand, has only allowed 3 ER in 24 IP at Safeco, which is what you are supposed to do in that cavern. Road trip record now 2-6. Yikes.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS