May 11, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
Cardinals rookie right-hander Shelby Miller grabbed headlines around baseball last night for his dominating performance against the Rockies, but Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester was nearly perfect in his own right, as he tossed a one-hit shutout as part of a 5-0 victory over the Blue Jays.
It was the 10th complete game of Lester’s career and his third shutout. He faced one batter over the minimum, as the only baserunner was a two-out double by Maicer Izturis in the sixth inning. Lester struck out five in the victory and is now 5-0 with a 2.73 ERA and 45/15 K/BB ratio in 52 2/3 innings across eight starts this year.
As Joe Lemire of SI.com notes, this is the first time since 1916 (the first year Baseball Reference has searchable game-by-game data) that two pitchers threw one-hit, no-walk complete games on the very same night. Of course, we have had two no-hitters on the same day before, but today’s hurlers have a tough act to follow.
Your Friday box scores:
Orioles 9, Twins 6 (10 innings)
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (168)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)