May 11, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
As D.J. Short noted today, Adam Wainwright brought a no-hitter into the eighth inning this afternoon against the Rockies. Nolan Arenado singled to center with one out to end the bid. Wainwright went on to shut the Rockies out on two hits as the Cardinals won 3-0. It was one night after Shelby Miller retired 27 Rockies in a row following a lead-off single to Eric Young in the first inning.
MLB.com’s Paul Casella reports, via the Elias Sports Bureau, that the Cardinals tied the all-time record for consecutive hitters retired by one team against another with 40 Rockies shut down in a row.
The dominant performances by Shelby Miller on Friday night and Adam Wainwright on Saturday afternoon combined to match the 1996 Rangers’ streak set against the Tigers on May 3 and 4, 1996.
On May 3, Ken Hill tossed a one-hit shutout against the Tigers as the Rangers won 11-0. Hill allowed a one-out first inning single to Bobby Higginson. The next day, Roger Pavlik set down the first 14 batters he faced before Mark Lewis hit a solo home run. Pavlik finished the game as the Rangers won 3-1.
Wainwright’s shutout today lowers the Cardinals MLB-best rotation ERA to 2.11. The Tigers, hosting the Indians tonight, are in second place at 3.22.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)