May 11, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
As D.J. Short noted today, Adam Wainwright brought a no-hitter into the eighth inning this afternoon against the Rockies. Nolan Arenado singled to center with one out to end the bid. Wainwright went on to shut the Rockies out on two hits as the Cardinals won 3-0. It was one night after Shelby Miller retired 27 Rockies in a row following a lead-off single to Eric Young in the first inning.
MLB.com’s Paul Casella reports, via the Elias Sports Bureau, that the Cardinals tied the all-time record for consecutive hitters retired by one team against another with 40 Rockies shut down in a row.
The dominant performances by Shelby Miller on Friday night and Adam Wainwright on Saturday afternoon combined to match the 1996 Rangers’ streak set against the Tigers on May 3 and 4, 1996.
On May 3, Ken Hill tossed a one-hit shutout against the Tigers as the Rangers won 11-0. Hill allowed a one-out first inning single to Bobby Higginson. The next day, Roger Pavlik set down the first 14 batters he faced before Mark Lewis hit a solo home run. Pavlik finished the game as the Rangers won 3-1.
Wainwright’s shutout today lowers the Cardinals MLB-best rotation ERA to 2.11. The Tigers, hosting the Indians tonight, are in second place at 3.22.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (68)