May 11, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
As D.J. Short noted today, Adam Wainwright brought a no-hitter into the eighth inning this afternoon against the Rockies. Nolan Arenado singled to center with one out to end the bid. Wainwright went on to shut the Rockies out on two hits as the Cardinals won 3-0. It was one night after Shelby Miller retired 27 Rockies in a row following a lead-off single to Eric Young in the first inning.
MLB.com’s Paul Casella reports, via the Elias Sports Bureau, that the Cardinals tied the all-time record for consecutive hitters retired by one team against another with 40 Rockies shut down in a row.
The dominant performances by Shelby Miller on Friday night and Adam Wainwright on Saturday afternoon combined to match the 1996 Rangers’ streak set against the Tigers on May 3 and 4, 1996.
On May 3, Ken Hill tossed a one-hit shutout against the Tigers as the Rangers won 11-0. Hill allowed a one-out first inning single to Bobby Higginson. The next day, Roger Pavlik set down the first 14 batters he faced before Mark Lewis hit a solo home run. Pavlik finished the game as the Rangers won 3-1.
Wainwright’s shutout today lowers the Cardinals MLB-best rotation ERA to 2.11. The Tigers, hosting the Indians tonight, are in second place at 3.22.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)