May 11, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
On Thursday, Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy accused Red Sox slugger David Ortiz of using performance-enhancing drugs. Ortiz responded with a staunch denial, claiming that Shaughnessy’s accusations were discriminatory in nature.
The drama continued this afternoon after the Red Sox lost to the Blue Jays 3-2. Ortiz was about to leave the clubhouse when he spotted Shaughnessy. The details, via WEEI’s Alex Speier:
“Look who it is,” Ortiz said.
He paused for a moment, then noted — loudly enough that all in the clubhouse were party to his address — that on the very day on which Shaughnessy interviewed him, he took a test for PEDs. Ortiz said he would be sure to pass along results of that test to the columnist. Ortiz became slightly more animated as he noted that he’d taken 40 tests administered by Major League Baseball.
Ortiz went 1-for-4 today, snapping a three-game hitless streak.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)