May 11, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Reports from the Dominican Republic earlier had reported that free agent Carlos Zambrano had been signed by the Philadelphia Phillies, but those reports have been squashed. GM Ruben Amaro called the reports “ridiculously premature” per CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury.
Amaro had indicated recently that he was searching for pitching help from outside of the organization after Roy Halladay went on the disabled list with a shoulder injury. Lefty John Lannan has been on the disabled list since mid-April with a strained left quad. Jonathan Pettibone came up to replace Lannan while Tyler Cloyd made a spot start last night before being sent back to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Zambrano recently signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League as he attempts to work his way back on to a Major League team. He pitched for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic, allowing two runs on one hit and two walks in 3.2 innings. In 132.1 innings with the Miami Marlins last year, he posted a 4.49 ERA with 95 strikeouts and 75 walks.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)