May 11, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Reports from the Dominican Republic earlier had reported that free agent Carlos Zambrano had been signed by the Philadelphia Phillies, but those reports have been squashed. GM Ruben Amaro called the reports “ridiculously premature” per CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury.
Amaro had indicated recently that he was searching for pitching help from outside of the organization after Roy Halladay went on the disabled list with a shoulder injury. Lefty John Lannan has been on the disabled list since mid-April with a strained left quad. Jonathan Pettibone came up to replace Lannan while Tyler Cloyd made a spot start last night before being sent back to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Zambrano recently signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League as he attempts to work his way back on to a Major League team. He pitched for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic, allowing two runs on one hit and two walks in 3.2 innings. In 132.1 innings with the Miami Marlins last year, he posted a 4.49 ERA with 95 strikeouts and 75 walks.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)