May 11, 2013, 9:35 AM EST
The high-priced Dodgers dropped their eighth straight game last night against the Marlins and currently sit in last place in the National League West with a disappointing 13-21 record, but there is some help on the way.
Zack Greinke allowed eight runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings last night in a minor league rehab start with High-A Rancho Cucamonga. It was his first game action since he suffered a broken collarbone in a benches-clearing brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin on April 11.
The results weren’t great, but it’s tough to put too much stock into them since Greinke’s defense committed three errors. The good news is that he struck out three without issuing a walk and didn’t have any discomfort with the collarbone. According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Greinke feels that he’s ready to rejoin the Dodgers’ rotation.
“I am,” Greinke said when asked if he was ready to be activated. “I won’t be in midseason form, but I feel I’m able to get guys out.
“I just have to get my right arm ready. I’ll definitely head somewhere. I can’t say [where] without talking to somebody. I’m sure they’d rather me pitch better than the results. I felt I pitched OK. Get the lights of a Major League game and it’s different, you step up another notch.”
The Dodgers haven’t made an official announcement yet, but Greinke is currently lined up to face the Nationals on Wednesday at Dodger Stadium. The 29-year-old was originally expected to miss 6-8 weeks after surgery, but if activated Wednesday, he’ll have made it back in just over four weeks.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)