May 11, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
The high-priced Dodgers dropped their eighth straight game last night against the Marlins and currently sit in last place in the National League West with a disappointing 13-21 record, but there is some help on the way.
Zack Greinke allowed eight runs (three earned) in 4 1/3 innings last night in a minor league rehab start with High-A Rancho Cucamonga. It was his first game action since he suffered a broken collarbone in a benches-clearing brawl with Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin on April 11.
The results weren’t great, but it’s tough to put too much stock into them since Greinke’s defense committed three errors. The good news is that he struck out three without issuing a walk and didn’t have any discomfort with the collarbone. According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Greinke feels that he’s ready to rejoin the Dodgers’ rotation.
“I am,” Greinke said when asked if he was ready to be activated. “I won’t be in midseason form, but I feel I’m able to get guys out.
“I just have to get my right arm ready. I’ll definitely head somewhere. I can’t say [where] without talking to somebody. I’m sure they’d rather me pitch better than the results. I felt I pitched OK. Get the lights of a Major League game and it’s different, you step up another notch.”
The Dodgers haven’t made an official announcement yet, but Greinke is currently lined up to face the Nationals on Wednesday at Dodger Stadium. The 29-year-old was originally expected to miss 6-8 weeks after surgery, but if activated Wednesday, he’ll have made it back in just over four weeks.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 25
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)