May 12, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin has the news out of Port St. Lucie, Florida:
Injured New York Mets closer Frank Francisco suffered a setback as he experienced discomfort in his right elbow and missed his bullpen session Saturday, manager Terry Collins said.
Collins said Francisco, who is on the disabled list, will be seen by a doctor this week.
“They thought he was making progress, ready to go to Binghamton, and he didn’t feel very good so we thought he should see the doctor again. That’s what we’re going to do,” Collins said Sunday before the Mets faced the Pirates.
Francisco hasn’t made an appearance in a major league game since last September. He was aiming for Opening Day this year, but now he’ll be lucky to return before the end of June.
The Mets are paying the inactive 33-year-old right-hander a $6.5 million salary for the 2013 season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)