May 12, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told KMOX on Sunday that right-hander Jake Westbrook has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation and that prospect John Gast will be called up from Triple-A Memphis on Tuesday to start in Westbrook’s place against the Mets.
Westbrook presumably developed the elbow issue in his start Wednesday against the Cubs. It was his worst outing of 2013, as he lasted a season-low 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits. The 35-year-old was given a cortisone shot Sunday morning and will try to throw later this week.
Gast, a 24-year-old left-hander, has posted an exceptional 1.16 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 35/13 K/BB ratio across 38 2/3 innings (seven starts) this season at Triple-A Memphis. He was a sixth-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft out of Florida State University.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 11
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)