May 12, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told KMOX on Sunday that right-hander Jake Westbrook has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation and that prospect John Gast will be called up from Triple-A Memphis on Tuesday to start in Westbrook’s place against the Mets.
Westbrook presumably developed the elbow issue in his start Wednesday against the Cubs. It was his worst outing of 2013, as he lasted a season-low 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits. The 35-year-old was given a cortisone shot Sunday morning and will try to throw later this week.
Gast, a 24-year-old left-hander, has posted an exceptional 1.16 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 35/13 K/BB ratio across 38 2/3 innings (seven starts) this season at Triple-A Memphis. He was a sixth-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft out of Florida State University.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)