May 12, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told KMOX on Sunday that right-hander Jake Westbrook has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation and that prospect John Gast will be called up from Triple-A Memphis on Tuesday to start in Westbrook’s place against the Mets.
Westbrook presumably developed the elbow issue in his start Wednesday against the Cubs. It was his worst outing of 2013, as he lasted a season-low 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits. The 35-year-old was given a cortisone shot Sunday morning and will try to throw later this week.
Gast, a 24-year-old left-hander, has posted an exceptional 1.16 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 35/13 K/BB ratio across 38 2/3 innings (seven starts) this season at Triple-A Memphis. He was a sixth-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft out of Florida State University.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 213
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (216)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)