May 12, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told KMOX on Sunday that right-hander Jake Westbrook has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation and that prospect John Gast will be called up from Triple-A Memphis on Tuesday to start in Westbrook’s place against the Mets.
Westbrook presumably developed the elbow issue in his start Wednesday against the Cubs. It was his worst outing of 2013, as he lasted a season-low 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits. The 35-year-old was given a cortisone shot Sunday morning and will try to throw later this week.
Gast, a 24-year-old left-hander, has posted an exceptional 1.16 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 35/13 K/BB ratio across 38 2/3 innings (seven starts) this season at Triple-A Memphis. He was a sixth-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft out of Florida State University.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)