May 12, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak told KMOX on Sunday that right-hander Jake Westbrook has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation and that prospect John Gast will be called up from Triple-A Memphis on Tuesday to start in Westbrook’s place against the Mets.
Westbrook presumably developed the elbow issue in his start Wednesday against the Cubs. It was his worst outing of 2013, as he lasted a season-low 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits. The 35-year-old was given a cortisone shot Sunday morning and will try to throw later this week.
Gast, a 24-year-old left-hander, has posted an exceptional 1.16 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 35/13 K/BB ratio across 38 2/3 innings (seven starts) this season at Triple-A Memphis. He was a sixth-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft out of Florida State University.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)