May 12, 2013, 9:31 AM EST
From Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:
Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.
“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.
You’re gonna want to read that entire Daily News article for the full context of what went down. Basically, Chamberlain was signing autographs for fans at the top of the dugout railing and interacting with them loudly while Rivera was trying to conduct an interview about a charity in the dugout below. “Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.” And that’s when Joba got pissy.
“We’ll take care of it,” Rivera told reporters later, after noting that he had not yet spoken to Chamberlain about the incident. “We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”
An update this morning from Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger:
Joba Chamberlain said he spoke with Mariano Rivera after Saturday’s game. Said things were good between them. He said he did not apologize.
— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughSL) May 12, 2013
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)