May 12, 2013, 9:31 AM EST
From Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:
Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.
“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.
You’re gonna want to read that entire Daily News article for the full context of what went down. Basically, Chamberlain was signing autographs for fans at the top of the dugout railing and interacting with them loudly while Rivera was trying to conduct an interview about a charity in the dugout below. “Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.” And that’s when Joba got pissy.
“We’ll take care of it,” Rivera told reporters later, after noting that he had not yet spoken to Chamberlain about the incident. “We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”
An update this morning from Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger:
Joba Chamberlain said he spoke with Mariano Rivera after Saturday’s game. Said things were good between them. He said he did not apologize.
— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughSL) May 12, 2013
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)