May 12, 2013, 9:31 AM EDT
From Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:
Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.
“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.
You’re gonna want to read that entire Daily News article for the full context of what went down. Basically, Chamberlain was signing autographs for fans at the top of the dugout railing and interacting with them loudly while Rivera was trying to conduct an interview about a charity in the dugout below. “Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.” And that’s when Joba got pissy.
“We’ll take care of it,” Rivera told reporters later, after noting that he had not yet spoken to Chamberlain about the incident. “We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”
An update this morning from Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger:
Joba Chamberlain said he spoke with Mariano Rivera after Saturday’s game. Said things were good between them. He said he did not apologize.
— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughSL) May 12, 2013
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)