Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera had a mini argument Saturday in front of media and fans

May 12, 2013, 9:31 AM EST

joba chamberlain getty Getty Images

From Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:

Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera exchanged tense words in the dugout before Saturday night’s game, as Chamberlain took exception to Rivera instructing him to quiet down while the closer chatted with reporters about an emotional event he had held earlier in the day with several local families.

“Don’t ever shush me again,” Chamberlain told Rivera in full view of reporters and fans.

You’re gonna want to read that entire Daily News article for the full context of what went down. Basically, Chamberlain was signing autographs for fans at the top of the dugout railing and interacting with them loudly while Rivera was trying to conduct an interview about a charity in the dugout below. “Joba! Yo! Bro!” Rivera shouted. “Shhh. Stop it.” And that’s when Joba got pissy.

“We’ll take care of it,” Rivera told reporters later, after noting that he had not yet spoken to Chamberlain about the incident. “We’re grownups and I know better than that. We’ll take care of that.”

**************************

An update this morning from Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger:

1. riverace19 - May 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Maybe if Joba shushed more often and paid attention to Mo he would be a better pitcher

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Awwww, go play on your trampoline, fatso.

• bigharold - May 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM

“..fatso.”

You say that like it’s a bad thing?

2. dondada10 - May 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Over/under on the amount of times Rivera heard Joba say “Bro” or some variation while Chamberlain was signing autographs: 38.5

Take the over.

3. pisano - May 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Joba’s been a bust overall, I used to cringe whenever they put him in a tight situation. I wouldn’t be at all sad if this was his last year in N.Y. He could learn a lot from Mariano, on and off the field.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Will he become a free agent at the end of the season?

• pisano - May 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM

pc…. yes, he’ll be a free agent, and hopefully be playing for another team.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Oh, do you want him to sign with the Jays?

• dondada10 - May 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Heard the Tigers need a closer….

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

People in Amway houses should not throw stones.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I do not want him to sign with the Jays. I was thinking of the Red Sox.

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

He’d fit in with the Feesh. They’re full of flounders and need a puffer.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Would scrooge want to show him the money?

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM

No, but he would happily promise him the money on a handshake deal.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM

That might even work with Joba.

• turdfurgerson68 - May 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

proudlycanadian -“I do not want him to sign with the Jays. I was thinking of the Red Sox.”

——————————————————————————-

Why would they want that overrated headcase (Remember the ‘Joba rules’ hahahahahahahaha!!)

Red Sox don’t need him; lotta young arms set to arrive in Boston from the minors very soon.

• bigharold - May 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

“Joba’s been a bust overall, ..”

Joba is only a bust in the context of the completely unrealistic expectations he was laden with when he arrived. And, he made the mistake of trying to live up to those expectations. Throw in the Yankees vacillating between making him a starter or closer, as in Rivera’s eventual replacement, then mix in Tommy John surgery and what you have isn’t so much a bust than unfulfilled potential. But, it’s not like he’s done as he is only 27, the jury is still out.

Chamberlain has yet to prove himself but he’s a very talented pitcher. And, of all the Yankees on the roster currently he’s the best suited to replace Rivera, .. even Robertson. That being said you are 100% correct inasmuch as he could learn a great deal from Rivera on how to comport himself.

4. sdelmonte - May 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Mo will probably go apology in total sincerity. Can’t predict Joba, but Mo is too much the pro to let this fester. And too much the adult as well.

5. indaburg - May 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I haven’t read the article or the comments. I just want to say that no matter what the tiff was about, Mo was right. The End.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I’m sure that everyone who witnessed it walked away with a better opinion of Joba. Not.

• indaburg - May 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I read the article. I was right–Mo was right. Joba’s a douche.

6. Charles Gates - May 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM

How dare Joba have fun interacting with fans! I mean come on!

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

How dare Joba have fun interacting with fans!

7. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - May 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I know. I’m sure if the roles were reversed and Joba was the one telling Mo to keep it down cause he’s doing an interview, people would still just blame Joba.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Small problem here: Mariano isn’t loud and boisterous, but he is sufficiently courteous that if he saw Joba being interviewed he’d doubtless have toned it down himself without needing to have been told.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Which is how you’d know Joba was still the one at fault, OG.

8. unclemosesgreen - May 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

D……..F……..A

Seriously, it’s time for Joba to get on with his second career as a meth-dealer.

9. deathmonkey41 - May 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM

This isn’t a big deal. If this happened between Padres players, no one would even be talking about it. The only harm I can see here, is Joba alienating himself from fans.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The only harm I can see here is Joba alienating himself from fans.

• bigharold - May 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

” The only harm I can see here, is Joba alienating himself from fans.”

How ironic, .. in the course of interacting with the fans he risk alienating himself from the fans.

If it were anybody but Rivera this isn’t even a story. I’m as big a fan of Mo as anybody and I even think Chamberlain was wrong but this isn’t a hanging offense. So lets stop acting like it. This is not a big deal, move on people.

10. steincj36 - May 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I guess no one read the article. It was Joba’s family members that he was loud with. They go to KC once a year…

Mo asked reporters if Joba is always like this. No, Mo, Joba isn’t always with his family.

• djpostl - May 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

And Mo also very correctly pointed out you don’t have to yell and drown everyone else out just interact with them.

Dude needs to grow the fuck up.

In the end his great big bust of an ass is gone at the end of the season anyways.

11. drewsylvania - May 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Let’s face it. You’re all on here not to look at the situation and figure out who was right. You’re here to groupthink. “Mariano is so perfect, so he’s right.” “Joba is a terrible pitcher and an ***hole, so he’s wrong.”

When most of you didn’t read the article, and none of you were there.

Wake yourselves up.

12. randygnyc - May 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Joba feels like Mo embarrassed him in front of the media. I sympathize with that. Joba should have addressed that privately. “Don’t ever sush me again” begs the question of “or else”. In other words, its a threat. A schoolyard threat, perhaps, but still thuggish behavior. Joba handled this badly. I don’t care if he was speaking to the pope.

• drewsylvania - May 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

As if anyone should listen to anything you write.

“Thuggish”?

• approvenothing - May 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I always enjoy reading what Randy has to say. Even if i agree or disagree. Don’t let him rustle your jimmies, Mr.Sylvania. It will be A-OK!

• randygnyc - May 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Approvenothing- it’s kinda funny. I pay Drew no mind, yet he follows me everywhere, just like a love sick puppy. No, more like a jilted, love struck, scorned groupie. Ah, exactly like….. a recurring hemorrhoid. I can’t seem to shake him. I don’t engage him, yet, he’s always…..there. Yuk.

• drewsylvania - May 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

As if anyone should listen to anything you write.

“Thuggish”?

• jimeejohnson - May 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Nailed it.

• jimeejohnson - May 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I meant randyg.

• drewsylvania - May 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Love the sarcasm.

• drewsylvania - May 12, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Telling someone “Don’t ever shush me again” is thug behavior?

Okay.

13. 2jaylee - May 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Don’t shhh me bro!!

14. thebigtim2012 - May 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Both prob could have handled things differently.

15. anxovies - May 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Two guys are talking and one tells the other to shut up and the other says “make me.” Sounds like the back seat of my folk’s car every time we took a trip.

• garythebat - May 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Spot on. But instead of diplomatic folks up front to squash the quarrel in a timely fashion, we’ve got media members in an adjacent car poking the kids with a stick, thus ensuring the drama continues all trip/season. You gotta love the 24 hours “news” cycle.

16. stephenolszewski - May 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM

It’s sad Joba has no respect for the best closer to ever play the game

17. buffalomafia - May 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Chamberlin sucks

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4974)
  2. M. Kemp (3499)
  3. J. Kang (2676)
  4. J. Upton (2612)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2611)
  1. C. McGehee (2591)