May 12, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Cubs right-hander Matt Garza tossed 3 1/3 scoreless innings Saturday in his second minor league rehab start with the Double-A Tennessee Smokies. It was his third rehab start overall.
Garza was scheduled to throw between four and five innings on Saturday, but two walks ballooned his pitch count early and he was pulled after his 66th delivery of the evening. He allowed three hits but racked up two strikeouts against the Birmingham Barons — the Double-A affiliate of the White Sox.
Garza will head to Triple-A Iowa next for two more rehab outings. The struggling Cubs are probably tempted to bring him back a little early, but he is going to be their best trade chip at the July 31 deadline so it’s better that he’s fully healthy.
The 29-year-old right-hander has been out all season because of a lat strain. He has a 3.52 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 8.7 K/9 in 301 2/3 innings (49 starts) since being traded to Chicago in January 2011.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (176)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)