May 12, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
Mike Adams allowed a run in his most recent appearance on May 10 against the Diamondbacks. He had the day off on Saturday, but was unavailable today in the series finale in Arizona due to back spasms. The 34-year-old’s absence forced Jonathan Papelbon to be used a day after converting a five-out save, a fact that made Adams apprehensive.
Mike Adams waited for Papelbon to arrive before disclosing his own news. The setup man asked the closer if he could pitch.
“I’m good to go,” Papelbon told him.
“Good,” Adams said, “because I’m not.”
Adams was sidelined by back spasms he said occurred within the last five minutes of batting practice before Sunday’s 4-2 win. He tried loosening up and the training staff applied treatment to no avail.
Adams had off-season surgery to address thoracic outlet syndrome in his right shoulder. He has a 3.00 ERA in 15 innings so far in his first season with the Phillies after they signed him to a two-year, $12 million dollar contract.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)