May 12, 2013, 11:05 PM EST
Mike Adams allowed a run in his most recent appearance on May 10 against the Diamondbacks. He had the day off on Saturday, but was unavailable today in the series finale in Arizona due to back spasms. The 34-year-old’s absence forced Jonathan Papelbon to be used a day after converting a five-out save, a fact that made Adams apprehensive.
Mike Adams waited for Papelbon to arrive before disclosing his own news. The setup man asked the closer if he could pitch.
“I’m good to go,” Papelbon told him.
“Good,” Adams said, “because I’m not.”
Adams was sidelined by back spasms he said occurred within the last five minutes of batting practice before Sunday’s 4-2 win. He tried loosening up and the training staff applied treatment to no avail.
Adams had off-season surgery to address thoracic outlet syndrome in his right shoulder. He has a 3.00 ERA in 15 innings so far in his first season with the Phillies after they signed him to a two-year, $12 million dollar contract.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)