May 12, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Mets outfielder Juan Lagares hasn’t hit much in his limited playing time — he has a .419 OPS in 33 trips to the plate — but opened some eyes and dropped some balls with a catch in the third inning of this afternoon’s game against the Pirates.
Opposing pitcher Jeanmar Gomez led off the inning against Mets starter Matt Harvey. Gomez lined an 88 MPH slider to Lagares in center, who appeared to make a shoestring snag, but he bobbled the ball as he attempted to steady himself. He quickly clutched after the ball and grabbed it again before it could hit the ground.
Watch the play:
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)