Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

May 12, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT

ubaldo getty Getty Images

Ubaldo Jimenez looked absolutely finished just a handful of weeks ago. But something has clicked.

The Indians right-hander allowed just one earned run on three hits over six innings Saturday in Cleveland’s 7-6 defeat of the Tigers and now boasts a 3-0 record, 1.45 ERA, 0.857 WHIP and 20/6 K/BB ratio over his last 18 2/3 innings (three starts).

Maybe Jimenez has run into a patch of good luck, or maybe he’s rediscovering some of his old form.

Ubaldo posted a 2.88 ERA and struck out 214 batters over 221 2/3 innings in 2010 as the ace of the Rockies.

The 29-year-old will take on the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park next time out.

Your Saturday box scores and recaps:

Pirates 11, Mets 2

Orioles 5, Twins 8

Rangers 8, Astros 7

Phillies 3, Diamondbacks 1

Athletics 4, Mariners 3

Marlins 1, Dodgers 7

1. proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

With yesterday’s loss, the great Justin Verlander now has a 4 and 3 record which is the same as Houston’s opening day starter Bud Norris. Just goes to show that win loss records are not all that meaningful.

• carbydrash - May 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Get out of your mom’s basement dude! It just means that Bud Norris is just as good as Justin Verlander.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Your assumptions are a tad off. Regretfully my mother died many years ago. I was orphaned when dad died 4 years ago at the age of 93.

• detroitr1 - May 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

“Just goes to show that win loss records are not all that meaningful.”

Well, when your team is 14/24 and 9.5 game out in May, I would be philosophical about Wins and Losses too.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think you need to turn on your sarcasm sensor…or have it adjusted…or turn it down from Phillies level to normal.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

well said, proudly is grasping for straws here

2. proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I want to apologize to Red Sox fans for yesterday’s performance by the washed up 35 year old crafty lefty Mark Buerhle. Somehow he out pitched the AL pitcher of the month (the shining Clay Bushholz) who happens to be on my fantasy team. The winning run was a homer by Adam Lind off third string closer Tazawa. So far this season, Lind had been much more proficient at drawing walks than hitting. It was not a complete wash out for my fantasy team as Casey Janssen got the save.

In today’s game, the Jays will be starting Chad Jenkins who, due to an injury, has only pitched 5 innings in Double A this season. Jenkins is certainly not in the same class as Red Sox pitchers Allen Webster or Felix Dubront. 5 innings is all that we can expect from Jenkins this time out. I expect that he will be followed by Rogers, Loup, Delabar and Janssen. The Red Sox will counter with their classy Canuck, 36 year old Ryan Dempster.

• indaburg - May 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I was rooting for your boys yesterday. I have a soft spot for hopeless cases. Maybe some of my lucky dust rubbed off.

Mark Buerhle looked like he was continuing last Monday’s start, post 3rd inning. Looked sharp.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

He was sharper than he had been all season. That was vintage Buehrle.

• indaburg - May 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Oh, I know Buehrle. He used to make mince meat of the Rays. Pitched a perfect game against us, back on Mother’s Day 2009. (Then again, who hasn’t pitched a perfect game against us?)

• wlschneider09 - May 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Gonna go out on a limb here and say the Twins have no perfect games against the rays.

• indaburg - May 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Not yet. Pitcher quality is not a prerequisite.

• dirtyharry1971 - May 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM

big deal, Buehrle is 1-2 with a 6+ ERA!! Thats nothing to be bragging about

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Lifetime, Buehrle is 175-134 for a .566 winning percentage with an era of 3.86 and if you throw out the 13-13 season he wasted peetching for the emasculated Feesh, his winning percentage climbs to .577. He’s pitched 2727 innings which in a 14-year career comes out to just shy of 195 innings a season, including those in which he was hurt. During that time he’s earned himself one hundred and one million dollars.

I’d brag about any of that. Let’s see what you got.

• cur68 - May 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM

And Gator razor cuts the chimp. Nice. Now scour him a stiff brush and a hose.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Jenkins went a very effective 5+ innings. The Jays did not have to use Janssen in the 9th, because they had a 12 to 4 lead thanks in part to 5 home runs.

3. 13arod - May 12, 2013 at 9:46 AM

tampa is coming

• indaburg - May 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Yes. Yes, we are. We get our pitching situation sorted out, and there’s no reason to believe that we won’t–their history is too good to believe otherwise–and watch out.

That said, Hellickson, really, son. Look at me. Listen. Focus. Missing location, keeping too many pitches up in the zone. You cannot keep blowing 5 run leads.

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Tampa can’t help it. It’s riding the North American plate. Of course, it’s only coming if you happen to be riding the Caribbean plate. If you happen to be riding the African or Eurasian plate, it’s going – and, blessedly, taking that ugly gunite tumulus of a stadium with it.

4. ptfu - May 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Padres hit a game-tying pinch slam, reloaded the bases, and took the lead. Lost anyway, on a walkoff shot (appropriately enough). So it goes.

5. historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM

F#ckity f@ck f&ck!

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Tough game. Detroit almost won it.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

It sucked from the first inning. And I don’t know how you blow a @%$%&@#$ tag like that. >:( I like Swisher’s dimples better when they show from a wry smile due to striking out. Like Friday.

• proudlycanadian - May 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Verlander currently has a 1.93 era the 4th best among AL starters, yet his record is only 4 & 3. Go figure.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM

That’s the problem with numbers, PC. They don’t like each other.

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Proudly: don’t forget that year ‘fore last, King Felix conclusively demonstrated the unimportance of wins to the collection of orfseason consolation prizes.

6. randygnyc - May 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The Yankees continue to roll along, undeterred by the “plague of 2013″. One can only imagine how big a lead in the AL East (as it is now, they are only one game behind the Rangers for the best record in the American League as the Rangers fatten up in the weakest division in all of baseball) they’d have if they had Jeter, tex, grandy, Arod, Youklis (the All star contingency), cervelli, Joba, Ivan Nova, Michael Pineda, and soon to be Eduardo Nunez. In fact, those players would be the best players on just about every team in MLB. The Yankees could field a World Series championship roster just from their players on the DL. (And I had to read the nerve of a poster here this week whining about the injuries of the A’s in noting coco crisp was on the DL. A player who wouldn’t even be a bench player on the Yankees). Of course, the Yankees could tank the rest of the season, but it won’t be with replacement players or replacement, replacement players. It’ll be with the bonafide A list players listed above. Doom, indeed.

Back to the game. Pettitte bested the Royals ace, shields, while the often mocked Vernon Wells continues to prove Cashman is the best GM in the game. I’d be remiss if i didnt mention the Angles are subsidizing the Yankees while they languish in the bowels of failure. The duo of Robertson and Rivera closed the door on the Royals’ hopes of winning the series. It’ll be all they can do to avoid the sweep with Kuroda on the bump Sunday afternoon. The Royals only bright spot is their reliever Herrara. He’d make a perfect 7th inning guy on the Yankees with a legitimate shot at pitching the 8th inning next year if he was smart and demanded a trade. It’s his only real shot at a ring during his lifetime.

Some random thoughts- Verlander issued 5 walks in his losing effort. Houston Street flat out sucks. Cards pitching is phenomenal. Bucholz is winless since he was caught cheating. Hat tip to the blue jays for beating the rancid red sox, despite Kawasaki’s best efforts to hand them a victory. Strasburg has FIVE LOSSES. And finally, the Cleveland Indians are the worst team in baseball currently with a winning record, by many miles.

And one more thing, can anyone explain how there can be 18 teams over .500?

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Simple. The Astros and the Feesh are losing all the games the other teams would ordinarily be losing.

7. uyf1950 - May 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Not sure why ProudlyCanadian is catching so much slack here. After all the Jays have a better record over their last 10 games than the Red Sox.

Oh I almost neglected to mention the Yankees won. As the NY Times is so proud to proclaim that’s “All The News That’s Fit to Print”.

8. Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

My best Feesh story of the weekend comes not from the field – best Feesh stories rarely do these days – but from the “Taste of Haiti” Mother’s Eve festival on the lawn in front of the Museyum of Kontemprary Kytsch (that’s Kreynglish for those of you who stick to Little Havana and never come up to Little Haiti) in North Macondo – directly across the street from the world famous Luna Star Cafe where, while being ministered to by the lissome Brie last night, I looked out the front door and noticed – ready? – a Feesh.com event tent with stuff on the table.

Like I was gonna just sit there listening to the irrevocably unlistenable on open mike night (every other Saturday) with a Feesh.com event tent right across the street – surrounded by booth after booth of the finest Haitian Kreyol Kwisine in North Macondo, right? Wrong. Checking my watch to make sure I didn’t linger too long amid the dozen or so kottage industrey hot sauces, lambi (the Platonic ideal of succulence on a paper plate), malanga fritters and pumpkin stew – and the company of the Feesh public relations department, which is drenched in pathos like a no-kill shelter full of post-distemper puppies – such that I missed my wife’s monthly stand-up routine about being a Brit trying to adjust to life in a tropical land where John Bull maintains no colonial administrative services, I sauntered across the street, ably abetted by a couple of very bored looking North Macondo peace officers.

I’ll spare you all the sublime culinary details (urrrpppp – ‘scuse me) but the Feesh.com tent, no, I won’t spare you that. It was staffed by a couple of college-age home for the summer types who seemed at once grateful to have even a job working for Scrooge McLoria and yet already scarred by the apparently unreconciled alternative responses of chronic disinterest and acute hostility. The table was spread with a couple of neatly folded t-shirts with the iconic, gonorrhea-discharge colored “M,” a pile of Feesh 2013 schedules, a couple of scorecards and current yearbooks, and I thought they were selling authentic Feesh DL crutches with the iconic gohorrhea-discharge colored “M” on the handle, but no, that must have just been something in the lambi. Did they have any miniature Tommy statues, maybe wind-up ones that played a tune when the broadbills cycled around? Nope. I suggested that they might be big sellers. The young man knew what I was talking about; the girl apparently had never been inside the stadium for a game. Then again, she might just not have noticed Tommy because no Feesh had dinged when she was there. Anyway, I told the guy he he should speak with Mr. Samson (I almost gagged pronouncing that word but I didn’t want to call him the Chihuahua and put any idea in this kid’s head that might get him fired one day).

Then – heh, I know you’ve been waiting for this one – I almost inquired, given the Haitian ambiance, whether they might be selling any small stuffed Scrooge McLoria dolls along with a set of gaily beribboned and enamel-headed stick pins with the iconic gonorrhea discharge colored M on top. Almost. I was very solicitous of these young’uns, since I had for so many years shepherded the youthful, the curious and the eager through the thickets of literary and cinematic civilization, and I hadn’t caught either one of them plagiarizing yet. As in the aforementioned Chihuahua demurral, I didn’t want to put any subversive ideas in their heads. I’m not getting paid to do that anymore.

The closest thing to a Tommy dummy they had was a vertical roulette wheel of sorts with a pie-shaped zone that said “Feesh!” on it and if they spun it and it stopped with the little phallic indicator at the top poised over this zone you won the neatly folded T-shirt with the iconic gonorrhea discharge colored M emblazoned on the front. So, I asked them to spin it. I could swear I heard rust flaking off of the young man’s elbow joint – such had been the level of interest this evening – which he did. No good. Ah well. What would I have done with the damned thing if I had won it anyway? I already have a turpentine stained Invasive Species Festival T-shirt I use for mixing herbicides.

So I wandered back to the Luna Star Cafe just in time to hear my wife’s routine on the difference between British and Macondoan cell phone idioms, have another bell jar of iced cappuccino proffered by the lissome Brie, and watch the gloom engulf the Feesh.com tent and its occupants, languishing there across NE 125th Street as the drummers – Rada! Nego! Petro! – started summoning the lwa in earnest for the annual Mother’s Day fertility ritual.

In other news, the Feesh exploded for a run on a Miguel Olivo dinger – this was just a test; if it had been a meaningful dinger you would have been instructed to turn to Fox Sports Florida at channel 720 on your cable box. Nothing much else happened in Los Angeles; Donny Baseball lives to be flustered for another day.

9. janessa31888 - May 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM

For some weird reason, the Indians have now beaten six Cy Young winners this season.
    What a fight that game was last night. That ninth inning was stressful. I thought we were done when Cabrera came to the plate in the ninth. Again, Chris Perez barely avoided blowing the save. Thrilled that Ubaldo had a good start against one of the best teams in baseball.

• historiophiliac - May 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Congratulations. Y’all played well.

10. APBA Guy - May 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

The A’s pitching finally restrained an opponent after 5 consecutive losses (ok, one of those was 1-0), most of them blow outs. Parker managed to keep the majority of his offerings around the knees, and when he started getting under the ball Curt Young was quickly on the case. 3-6 on the road trip so far.

11. kelshannon19 - May 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Ranger fans are extremely classless. Last night at the game, in Minute Maid Park, there was a fly ball to left field. Trevor Crowe settled under it and as he did, this Ranger fan hung over the Crawford Boxes yelling out “F*ck you Crowe you piece of sh*t!” Gtfo of our stadium.

12. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Shoutout to the Royals fans giving Mo a huge (standing?) ovation last night in the 9th inning. Very classy.

• Old Gator - May 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I’ve always found everyone in KC, with the exception of the owner of the Royals, to be pretty classy. Folks who think it’s a cow town need to spend a weekend there and have their eyes opened.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3623)