May 12, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
As first reported by Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees have placed utilityman Eduardo Nunez on the 15-day disabled list with a rib cage injury. Alberto Gonzalez has been called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to fill the vacant roster spot and Mark Teixeira was shifted to the 60-day disabled list as a procedural move.
Teixeira is still on track to return around early June.
Nunez has been bothered by tightness in his rib cage since early last week. An MRI taken last Monday morning ruled out any significant structural damage, but the 25-year-old still isn’t feeling quite right.
The move was made retroactive to May 6, so Nunez can return in less than 10 days. He has batted .200/.290/.275 with no homers in 95 plate appearances this season while playing primarily at shortstop.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)