May 12, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
As first reported by Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees have placed utilityman Eduardo Nunez on the 15-day disabled list with a rib cage injury. Alberto Gonzalez has been called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to fill the vacant roster spot and Mark Teixeira was shifted to the 60-day disabled list as a procedural move.
Teixeira is still on track to return around early June.
Nunez has been bothered by tightness in his rib cage since early last week. An MRI taken last Monday morning ruled out any significant structural damage, but the 25-year-old still isn’t feeling quite right.
The move was made retroactive to May 6, so Nunez can return in less than 10 days. He has batted .200/.290/.275 with no homers in 95 plate appearances this season while playing primarily at shortstop.
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 0
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)