May 13, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Cabrera will receive his championship ring when the Giants visit the Blue Jays, Cabrera’s new team, on Tuesday. Manager Bruce Bochy performed a similar act last month with Chicago Cubs’ right fielder Nate Schierholtz, who was traded shortly before Cabrera was suspended for use of a banned substance last summer.
I’m sure someone will be outraged by this because that’s what people do when a PED-connected player is mentioned. But Melky did the crime and the time. More than the time, actually, as he was basically pressured/shamed into abdicating his 2012 batting title because of his positive PED test. Which wasn’t provided for by any rule and made little sense since a batting title is merely a function of mathematics, not a judgment of a players’ moral or even overall baseball worth. But that’s just how we roll as a society now.
First columnist to write how Melky should donate his World Series ring to an animal shelter or something wins the tournament.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4