May 13, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Cabrera will receive his championship ring when the Giants visit the Blue Jays, Cabrera’s new team, on Tuesday. Manager Bruce Bochy performed a similar act last month with Chicago Cubs’ right fielder Nate Schierholtz, who was traded shortly before Cabrera was suspended for use of a banned substance last summer.
I’m sure someone will be outraged by this because that’s what people do when a PED-connected player is mentioned. But Melky did the crime and the time. More than the time, actually, as he was basically pressured/shamed into abdicating his 2012 batting title because of his positive PED test. Which wasn’t provided for by any rule and made little sense since a batting title is merely a function of mathematics, not a judgment of a players’ moral or even overall baseball worth. But that’s just how we roll as a society now.
First columnist to write how Melky should donate his World Series ring to an animal shelter or something wins the tournament.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 0
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 9
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 171
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (170)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)