May 13, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Cabrera will receive his championship ring when the Giants visit the Blue Jays, Cabrera’s new team, on Tuesday. Manager Bruce Bochy performed a similar act last month with Chicago Cubs’ right fielder Nate Schierholtz, who was traded shortly before Cabrera was suspended for use of a banned substance last summer.
I’m sure someone will be outraged by this because that’s what people do when a PED-connected player is mentioned. But Melky did the crime and the time. More than the time, actually, as he was basically pressured/shamed into abdicating his 2012 batting title because of his positive PED test. Which wasn’t provided for by any rule and made little sense since a batting title is merely a function of mathematics, not a judgment of a players’ moral or even overall baseball worth. But that’s just how we roll as a society now.
First columnist to write how Melky should donate his World Series ring to an animal shelter or something wins the tournament.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 17
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 94
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 102
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 81
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 96
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)