George Postolos steps down as Astros president and CEO

May 13, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

postolos

George Postolos, who was hired as Astros president and CEO when Jim Crane took over as owner in late 2011, announced today that he’s resigning from the job.

According to his MLB.com bio Postolos “had worked with Crane for five years in pursuing an MLB franchise before ultimately completing the purchase of the Astros.”

Postolos was previously the president and CEO of the Rockets and the idea at the time was that he’d be a good fit with the Astros’ new-school front office.

While both sides’ press releases make it sound like an amicable parting of ways, Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle reports that “there was an increasing divide within Astros and many were unhappy with decisions made by Postolos.”

1. gloccamorra - May 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

An “increasing divide”? “Unhappy with decisions”? Who’s divided? What decisions made “many” unhappy? Can anybody in Houston read in between the lines? Give us a clue!

2. lewp - May 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I’m thinking this is going to have a big snowball effect.

Next in line, the GM, then the coach.

Things often change when a team is losing.

• stex52 - May 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

GM and coach will get a pass for a while. They were brought in to do exactly what they are doing. The bigger question of whether the solution they were told to implement is too extreme to maintain a viable, money-making franchise is what I think is driving this.

That would land at the door of Postolos and the owners.

3. timb12 - May 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Watch out. Now the Astros are going to be pretty bad.

4. stex52 - May 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM

No, I’m not sure what exactly did it. I can make a list of major problems:

1. The giant Comcast deal to get the Astros local broadcast coverage has never closed with the other
    cable providers. 60% of the greater Houston area has no access to televised broadcasts.
    2. The radio flagship went from a local talk outlet with a broadcast strength you could probably pick up
    from Mars to a small sports-oriented station with a very weak signal. Regional coverage stinks.
    3. Several popular broadcasters’ contracts were not continued to bring in a rookie staff that has not
    caught on (See points 1 and 2).
    4. Relations with the community and local media have ranged from tone-deaf to Jeff Loria quality.
    5. Difficulties with planning minor league farm teams for the future.
    6. The rebuilding plan involved burning down the barn to kill the rats. Admittedly they inherited a mess.
    But you start to hear just a few rumblings in the press that some of the team insiders are
    questioning whether the radical approach is too extreme. Porter got caught saying “he didn’t know.”

That with the general admission that real results might be around 2015 or later. It all adds up after a while.

• stex52 - May 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM

One more thing that I forgot to mention that ails the Astros. The move to the AL West was really unpopular here. To the point that I know it is really hurting perceptions of the team. But you can’t hold that one over Postolos. That was the majority owner.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

That was Bud Light. No tikkee, no treat. But I can’t fault anyone for being turned off by designatedhitterball.

• jeffa43 - May 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Well said Stex! At least we are better off than the halos… Remember when we shelled out 100 mil, for Carlos Lee while not signing draft picks?

Hamilton + 30th ranked minor leagues… Sounds familiar

Astros would have at least 5 more wins with any bullpen depth. Things are moving at a decent pace.. I still think 2015 we will be competitive… If not I’m buying Stex wings, and a few pops.

5. Walk - May 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Thank you stex, I learned a lot I was not aware of. 2015 though in baseball terms is pretty quick though to start seeing results, I know it will not translate into a bunch of wins so early, but if that means you start seeing homegrown and well coached players arriving well that is a good turnaround time.

• stex52 - May 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

One clarification. They are making noise like it may be that soon. At this point I think that is optimistic. I think they will have some good young players up by then, but I think the rebuild will take longer.

And in the meantime, who wants to pay premium dollar (And Astros prices are high) to see a AA team play a bunch of MLB teams. The answer will be, “Not many people.”

6. Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Postolos was reported to be considered for the COO position at Enron.

7. onbucky96 - May 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Rats deserting the sinking ship…

• jarathen - May 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It’s already at the bottom of the ocean.

8. thesmedman - May 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Mr. Crane? There’s a Nolan Ryan on line one…

Pat Gillick would be a great choice, too. Dallas Green, maybe? Or bring back Gerry Hunsicker…

• Bob - May 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Nolan Ryan has already said “I don’t think so.” Ryan’s group beat out Jim Crane/Mark Cuban for the Rangers ownership a few years ago in a pretty nasty process. So I don’t think Ryan will be back with the Astros as long as Crane owns the team.

9. thesmedman - May 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I watched the Astros all weekend (I’m in Texas in Rangers country). They look pretty bad. Reminds me of early seventies’ Astros teams…maybe as bad as the Mets in the early sixties…

But the uniforms I like! They did a terrific job with them because they’ve been bad with a capital B for years…

I found the whole shebang on the umpires about the double swkitch the other day odd, in that no one seemed to blame Porter for trying something clearly against the rules. Granted, this is his first mgr jobm, but it does make you question him, and his bench coach…

10. Panda Claus - May 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Hey Aaron, did Craig give you permission to use his college picture for this story?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3853)