Giant Omelet 1, A.J. Ramos 0

May 13, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

A.J. Ramos

Marlins reliever A.J. Ramos tried to eat a 12-egg omelet at the Broken Yolk in San Diego the other day. He failed:

“It was really good with the chili and everything, but when you eat that much of anything it started tasting pretty bad,” Ramos said. “I saw a girl on [the wall], so I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m doing it.’ She wasn’t big or anything. She was pretty good looking, too. I’d hate to take her on a date. She might eat more than me.”

Four hundred out of about 10,000 have successfully finished the omelet. Ramos did not. It’s the potatoes, dude. That’s where they get you.

1. historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

It’s okay to get beaten by a woman. We are pretty badass, you know.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I love the thumbs down. You can join the 21st century any time.

• scooper15928 - May 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

This is the internet. You should expect people to disagree with you no matter what you say. On the bright side, look at the fact that you have twice as many thumbs up as thumbs down. Trying to accuse people who dislike your comment of misogyny isn’t going to make you popular.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

It’s funny that you think I said that because my feelings were hurt.

• paperlions - May 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

You can join us anytime you like historio, which century is Oklahoma currently in? 19th or early 20th?

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I guess I didn’t follow you there. What?

• paperlions - May 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Well, when I lived in west Texas, Lubbock clearly wasn’t in the 21st century, and socially seemed stuck in the early 20th century, before women’s suffrage…I assumed that OK was in a similar quandary.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Oh, ok. I thought maybe that was something about you being offended. I was confused. This is one of those days when people seem to be misunderstanding things all day.

• paperlions - May 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Good thing I’ve been busy working then.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

It’s really fascinating how people react sometimes. Today is one of those days where it seems that people have decided what they think I’m saying based on their idea of me but that has nothing to do with what I’m actually thinking. It says a lot about them — even though they think it’s about me. I find it annoying on days like today. Go back to work. You aren’t missing anything. I’ve been signed out most of the day.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM

PS I’ll have you know our governor is female. She used to be the Lt. Governor. We had another female Lt. Governor after her (while #1 was repping us in Congress). Our previous mayor here is female — and she has a good chance of winning again. We are significantly underrepresented in the state legislature and courts still though.

• chacochicken - May 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hey, I’ve paid to get beaten by a woman. Nothing wrong with that.

• historiophiliac - May 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Stop teasing me. I get in trouble from the Canadians. :(

• chacochicken - May 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM

The Canadians hate our freedom.

• cur68 - May 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Hate your freedom? If by freedom you mean the freedom to continue believing in “Wisconsin”, then sure: we hate that. Making up places to aggrandize yourself isn’t very becoming.

As to the beatings; if you have to pay for it, then she didn’t love you.

• chacochicken - May 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Trust me, I don’t want love anywhere near my financial transactions. I like a previously agreed upon figure.

Oh, and while I’m thinking about it tell those damn Quebecois to keep their RVs in the right lane. In this country we prefer to speed in the left lane. Thank you.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - May 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Been to the Broken Yolk many, many times. Yet to try to conquer that beast. Mainly because I get the “death stare” from my wife, even though she’d do OK in the life insurance claim once that killed me.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

There’s a little shack of a hamburger joint in Louisville that makes a burger like that. Famous place but I remember it mostly for the indigestion I got pigging out on the frickles. I think the antacid overdose that followed wiped the name of it out of my memory bank.

Anyway, I can’t blame Ramos for trying – but I think that his unconscious ruined the experience for him when it started sending up images of the gooseggs on the scoreboard that symbolized his run support this year.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Okay, found it: Genny’s Diner. The Sweet Daddy Burger is the culprit in question. You need jaws triple hinged like an African egg-eating snake and stomach acids like a saltwater crocodile to ingest and survive it.

• ditto65 - May 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Alas, Genny”s was closed and razed (not sure in which order), and replaced by Comfy Cow Ice Cream Parlor. We will never know if Sweet Daddy could have been the death of me.

• asimonetti88 - May 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Broken Yolk is my favorite breakfast/brunch spot in SD.

3. number42is1 - May 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

12 full eggs or mostly whites?

4. jcmeyer10 - May 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

What’s really important here is that he missed a game to try it. He figured more people would watch him eat the omelette than watch him play baseball.

• shaggylocks - May 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

He had a point. I’d rather watch a guy eat an omelet than watch the Marlins.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

If that had happened in Macondo, I’d say you’re right. However, I’m looking at a recent thermal image from a satellite here that shows warm bodies in PETCO. An image taken on the same day of Macondo Banana Massacre Field is blank.

Gee, you think they had the roof closed?

• jwbiii - May 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

The Marlins had an off day on Thursday. They did have to make the long trek from San Diego to LA, though.

• jcmeyer10 - May 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I can’t tell if you are kidding or not.

• jwbiii - May 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

• Old Gator - May 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Right. No orf day after commuting overnight from Philadelphia to San Diego, but they get a break on the three hour bus ride – unless they flew into John Wayne as well.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3255)