HBT Daily: close, but no no-hitters. Yet.

May 13, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT

Today I fly solo on HBT Daily, talking about all the near-misses we’ve had so far this year. And speculating as to who may through baseball’s first no-hitter in 2013.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. The Dangerous Mabry - May 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Boo for misuse of begging the question.

Yay for Matt Harvey.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 13, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Man, as soon as a I taped that I realized I said “begging the question” and I got mad at myself. But it beat doing another take. Blah.

2. Senor Cardgage - May 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

No mention of Yu Darvish’s bid for perfection being broken up with one out to go? For shame.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well, I did limit it to guys who had great games this past weekend and guys who had complete game one-hitters. Darvish didn’t finish the game.

• Senor Cardgage - May 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM

And yet he came closer than any of those four to actually completing a no-hitter. (I suppose Miller’s achievement is notable, but then again he had a lead almost the whole game and didn’t have the pressure of trying to maintain a perfect game in the late innings.) When you start off with “Today I [talk] about all the near-misses we’ve had so far this year,” it seems an oversight not to mention Darvish.

• youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - May 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I tend to agree with Senor Cardgage (and not just cuz I’m a Ranger fan). He went the deepest with a no-hitter, so ignoring him seems like a ridiculous oversight to me.

Of course, though, now that you’ve mentioned there have only been close calls, there will now be at least 2 no-hitters this week.

• thomas844 - May 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Against the Astros. Doesn’t count.

• 78mu - May 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Hey – the Astros are still a major league team and deserve to be respected.

At least that’s what Jeffrey Loria and the Marlin’s front office told me.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto