May 13, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
That’s the implication one gets from this interview with Chris Carpenter in the Post-Dispatch. He’s a friend of Halladay’s, and suggests that Halladay decided to have the surgery he’s having in order to come back and take another shot at a World Series, which Carpenter says is very important to him.
Maybe, but there’s no indication that Halladay was through with pitching as a general proposition anyway. But I do wonder if such a desire for a ring may not alter what his plans are for 2014. He’s not under contract after this year and, barring some changes, Philly is not going to necessarily be a great bet for World Series hardware next season. Might Halladay decide to go the hired gun route if healthy next spring and try to sign on as a back-of-the-rotation starter for a real contender?
Guess it all depends on how plugged in to Halladay’s psyche Chris Carpenter is.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)