May 13, 2013, 9:37 AM EST
That’s the implication one gets from this interview with Chris Carpenter in the Post-Dispatch. He’s a friend of Halladay’s, and suggests that Halladay decided to have the surgery he’s having in order to come back and take another shot at a World Series, which Carpenter says is very important to him.
Maybe, but there’s no indication that Halladay was through with pitching as a general proposition anyway. But I do wonder if such a desire for a ring may not alter what his plans are for 2014. He’s not under contract after this year and, barring some changes, Philly is not going to necessarily be a great bet for World Series hardware next season. Might Halladay decide to go the hired gun route if healthy next spring and try to sign on as a back-of-the-rotation starter for a real contender?
Guess it all depends on how plugged in to Halladay’s psyche Chris Carpenter is.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)