May 13, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
That’s the implication one gets from this interview with Chris Carpenter in the Post-Dispatch. He’s a friend of Halladay’s, and suggests that Halladay decided to have the surgery he’s having in order to come back and take another shot at a World Series, which Carpenter says is very important to him.
Maybe, but there’s no indication that Halladay was through with pitching as a general proposition anyway. But I do wonder if such a desire for a ring may not alter what his plans are for 2014. He’s not under contract after this year and, barring some changes, Philly is not going to necessarily be a great bet for World Series hardware next season. Might Halladay decide to go the hired gun route if healthy next spring and try to sign on as a back-of-the-rotation starter for a real contender?
Guess it all depends on how plugged in to Halladay’s psyche Chris Carpenter is.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)