If Halladay had a ring, he might’ve just hung it up

May 13, 2013, 9:37 AM EST

halladay getty Getty Images

That’s the implication one gets from this interview with Chris Carpenter in the Post-Dispatch. He’s a friend of Halladay’s, and suggests that Halladay decided to have the surgery he’s having in order to come back and take another shot at a World Series, which Carpenter says is very important to him.

Maybe, but there’s no indication that Halladay was through with pitching as a general proposition anyway. ¬†But I do wonder if such a desire for a ring may not alter what his plans are for 2014. He’s not under contract after this year and, barring some changes, Philly is not going to necessarily be a great bet for World Series hardware next season. ¬†Might Halladay decide to go the hired gun route if healthy next spring and try to sign on as a back-of-the-rotation starter for a real contender?

Guess it all depends on how plugged in to Halladay’s psyche Chris Carpenter is.

1. proudlycanadian - May 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Halladay and Carpenter have been good friends since they were in the minors in the Jay’s system. Carpenter is reputed to be Halladay’s best friend in baseball. If anyone in baseball has an inkling of what motivates Doc, it is Carpenter.

2. cur68 - May 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I think Halladay wants to go out winning but this doesn’t mean “Ring” necessarily. He’ll have his surgery, sign with anyone, possibly even the Phillies, and throw up a great season and then done. If it means a WS Ring, good, but that guy’s always been about besting all who stood before him. The hardware’s incidental.

Good Luck, Roy.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

No body is really looking all that closely, but,and shhhh, because I want them to keep feeling disprespected personally, the Phils, who were supposed to be way back in the standings right about now, are only four back. *And*, most interesting enough, they are doing it via ” small ball” ( otherwise known as fundamentally sound baseball )

Call me crazy, I have a hunch, barring horific injuries, considering the Giants and Cardinals as presedence, that there’s post season in the Phils future, Doc’ in some kind of relief role, and if the baseball gods will it, perhaps a ring.

I’ll have a better crystal ball image at the end of the month.

• cur68 - May 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Your Boys are but a heating up of Ryan Howard away from claiming the division lead, in my opinion. Frankly, if all else remains about the same, one guy plating runs at Howard’s old clip should do it. I say hand The Phantic a bat and see what he can do, eh?

I love it when the Phills are in contention. The Ole Comment Board gets all troll-tastic.

• heyblueyoustink - May 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Like I said, don’t tell anyone, I’ve been watching closely. Almost the worst outfield, offensively speaking, in baseball, a clean up hitter not cleaning up, and yet……

They had a chance to win every game on the road trip. If they’re within 5 games at the all star break, hell, they might have a shot at the division crown.

By the by, quite the display those Jays put on yesterday from a power point of view. And watching Shane Victorino take a wall to the ribs? Added bonus.

• cur68 - May 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I recorded the Beaver game and watched it after I rolled in from work. Skipped My Boy’s fielding (which is good for my digestion: they in-field at the AAA level) and only watched the hitting.

I think they’d sacrificed a chicken or something to Jobu prior to this one. That 2nd Bautista homer was off of a curve ball. He hits the straight ball very much, but the curve…bats have been afraid till now.

Victorino’s crash into the wall…man. That hurt to watch. I’d only just gotten over seeing Happ lying too still on the field: didn’t need to see that. I was some pleased when he not only got up but stayed in the game. THEN I was juuuuuust a touch giddy about Bone Face’s homer.

I sure hope you’re right about the Phills sneaking into the playoffs. Things will be mighty lively ’round these parts if/when that happens. Since even Brett Lawrie seems to have found his stroke, and he’s rawer than a just-pulled-out-of-the-garden-onion, I’m betting that Howard will find his groove, too. Tell him to offer, cigars, rum, and a live chicken to Jobu. Can’t hurt.

3. thomas844 - May 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Carpenter has two rings. If Halladay wants one so badly Carpenter can just share one of his.

4. zeeman911 - May 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM

You would be a fine 5 th starter on the tigers!

5. number42is1 - May 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM

so you’re saying that “if Roy liked he then he should have put a ring on it” ?

• number42is1 - May 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Don’t worry… i thumbs downed myself

6. randygnyc - May 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Except how is Roy going to feel being a peripheral player winning a ring as a hired gun?

• tuberippin - May 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Probably as good as Wade Boggs felt when he did it in 1996.

7. frug - May 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

This sounds plausible to me. Remember Halladay left a ton of money (likely at least $60 million) on the table when he agreed to the deal that sent him to Philly instead of just playing one more year in Toronto and then hitting free agency because he wanted to play for a contender ASAP.

8. areyesrn - May 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM

that Cards-Phils Game 5, man….damn…

• tuberippin - May 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Epic game, and still crushing/haunting as a Phils fan. JUST ONE RUN, FFS. Apparently it was too much to ask. A great opportunity squandered.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester