May 13, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Jon Niese has been knocked around for 15 runs in his last two starts and now maybe we know why.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Niese has been pitching through a neck injury all month and the left-hander admitted that it has caused him to alter his mechanics in a negative way by dropping his arm slot.
Niese told Martino that he plans to “do drills to get that muscle memory back” during his between-starts bullpen session. His next start is scheduled for Thursday against the Cardinals, who’ve scored the fourth-most runs in the league.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)