May 13, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Jon Niese has been knocked around for 15 runs in his last two starts and now maybe we know why.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Niese has been pitching through a neck injury all month and the left-hander admitted that it has caused him to alter his mechanics in a negative way by dropping his arm slot.
Niese told Martino that he plans to “do drills to get that muscle memory back” during his between-starts bullpen session. His next start is scheduled for Thursday against the Cardinals, who’ve scored the fourth-most runs in the league.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)