May 13, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Jon Niese has been knocked around for 15 runs in his last two starts and now maybe we know why.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Niese has been pitching through a neck injury all month and the left-hander admitted that it has caused him to alter his mechanics in a negative way by dropping his arm slot.
Niese told Martino that he plans to “do drills to get that muscle memory back” during his between-starts bullpen session. His next start is scheduled for Thursday against the Cardinals, who’ve scored the fourth-most runs in the league.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)