May 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle, Altuve told Astros manager Bo Porter than he thinks he can play Tuesday. Perhaps they’ll rest him just to be on the safe side, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll require a lengthy absence.
9:00 PM: Scary moment for the Astros tonight, as second baseman Jose Altuve suffered a subluxed right jaw following a collision with right fielder Jimmy Paredes in the second inning against the Tigers. By the way, subluxed is the technical term for partial dislocation.
The collision occurred when Altuve ran into shallow right field to track down a fly ball off the bat of Jhonny Peralta. The diminutive second baseman tracked the ball all the way before running right into the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Paredes and falling to the ground in pain. The severity of the injury isn’t yet known, but he could be seen grabbing at the right side of his face when he got to his feet and walked off the field.
Altuve has easily been the Astros’ best player so far this season, so losing him for any length of time would be a tough blow. The 23-year-old is batting .333/.371/.444 with two home runs, 18 RBI, four stolen bases and an .816 OPS through 38 games.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)