May 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle, Altuve told Astros manager Bo Porter than he thinks he can play Tuesday. Perhaps they’ll rest him just to be on the safe side, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll require a lengthy absence.
9:00 PM: Scary moment for the Astros tonight, as second baseman Jose Altuve suffered a subluxed right jaw following a collision with right fielder Jimmy Paredes in the second inning against the Tigers. By the way, subluxed is the technical term for partial dislocation.
The collision occurred when Altuve ran into shallow right field to track down a fly ball off the bat of Jhonny Peralta. The diminutive second baseman tracked the ball all the way before running right into the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Paredes and falling to the ground in pain. The severity of the injury isn’t yet known, but he could be seen grabbing at the right side of his face when he got to his feet and walked off the field.
Altuve has easily been the Astros’ best player so far this season, so losing him for any length of time would be a tough blow. The 23-year-old is batting .333/.371/.444 with two home runs, 18 RBI, four stolen bases and an .816 OPS through 38 games.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 0
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 17
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)