Jose Altuve collides with Jimmy Paredes, suffers subluxed right jaw

May 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT

Jose Altuve, Jimmy Paredes AP

UPDATE: According to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle, Altuve told Astros manager Bo Porter than he thinks he can play Tuesday. Perhaps they’ll rest him just to be on the safe side, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll require a lengthy absence.

9:00 PM: Scary moment for the Astros tonight, as second baseman Jose Altuve suffered a subluxed right jaw following a collision with right fielder Jimmy Paredes in the second inning against the Tigers. By the way, subluxed is the technical term for partial dislocation.

The collision occurred when Altuve ran into shallow right field to track down a fly ball off the bat of Jhonny Peralta. The diminutive second baseman tracked the ball all the way before running right into the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Paredes and falling to the ground in pain. The severity of the injury isn’t yet known, but he could be seen grabbing at the right side of his face when he got to his feet and walked off the field.

Altuve has easily been the Astros’ best player so far this season, so losing him for any length of time would be a tough blow. The 23-year-old is batting .333/.371/.444 with two home runs, 18 RBI, four stolen bases and an .816 OPS through 38 games.

1. mscott4 - May 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Subluxed is the medical term for partial dislocation not dislocation.

• D.J. Short - May 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Noted above. Thanks!

2. jerze2387 - May 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

SON OF A…

I just traded Pedroia for him and Cespedes in my fantasy league. Damn you, jimmy Paredes!

(i think Paredes is trying to get that 2B job back running over little Jose altuve)

• chichitog - May 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I actually like that trade!

• jerze2387 - May 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I did too. My middle infield was him and Jean segura, in a keeper league. Was thinking the next 7 years i was set lol. Now i gotta rely on rutledge/espiniosa id he misses time. Still in better shape than Houston though i guess

• proudlycanadian - May 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I just hope that he is not gone for long. Now I have to find someone to replace him on my fantasy team. The good news I guess is that it is not broken.

3. e5tolife - May 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM

There goes the Astros season…..oh wait

4. dondada10 - May 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Kirk Gibson thinks Altuve is a pussy for coming out of the game.

• bigleagues - May 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM

How dare you disparage “el Gran Barro de Pollo”!

• jerze2387 - May 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

What?

5. townballblog - May 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Ha! Thanks for explaining “subluxed.”

6. mudhead123 - May 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Is altuve that real tall player?

7. dwishinsky - May 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM

The way it lines up on my computer at first I read it as the 3,200 lb Paredes.

• tc4306 - May 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

For a man of that size, Paredes has a pretty good case of the quicks.

8. kalinedrive - May 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I rewound it and got my girlfriend to watch it and said I know he’s hurt but I’m laughing anyway because they dropped the ball. Does that make me a bad person?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5580)